Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Networked ASX crashes FSX when exited

Just to give as much info as possible this is the log from ASX just before I start FSX...18:43:05: Logging Initialized18:43:05: XEngine v1.0.0.325 Copyright

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest United

No, no pop-up box ever appears of any kind.Randy Jura, KPDX

Hi Jim,There are two clues...1. The ASX log doesn't include an entry saying connected to FSX. When things were working normally I did see that entry.2. The Report screen doesn't lock to the nearest station. It continues to show LIMC - the last station I successfully locked to when I last used ASX/FSX. On the Map screen if I try to click "Lock to FS Position" it won't accept a mouse click.How do you know ASX is talking to FSX? What is there in the log that say's that?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,This part:18:43:06: FSX station database backup complete18:43:06: World Magnetic Model has been loaded...18:43:15: Wx Station Database loaded: 11903 station(s)18:43:15: Airports Database loaded...18:43:15: Loading additional weather stations...18:43:22: Additional stations database load compete for 1704 stations18:43:22: SimConnect found and initialized18:43:24: Module Found: C:Program FilesHiFiXEngineModulesASX.DLL18:43:24: ASX module load commencing...18:43:24: ASX ModuleFolder set to: C:Program FilesHiFiXEngineASX18:43:24: ASX settings have been loaded...18:43:27: ASX controls initialized...18:43:27: ASX v0.1.0.1056 Copyright

Hi Jim,Still no joy trying to get ASX to 'talk' to FSX. I appreciate you think ASX is linking correctly but if that is the case why doesn't the weather change and why doesn't it reflect it in ASX's interface?Apart from the points I made yesterday there is no banner appearing in FSX saying ASX is connecting and updating the weather?Looking at the log entries where it say's "SimConnect found and initialized" isn't that just referring to ASX talking to simconnect.dll in one of the WinSxS folders since FSX isn't actually running at that point?I have installed SP1 as part of the SDK release. Remember the two were talking last week and my original post was about ASX apparently locking FSX when I closed it. This is a completely new problem and with nothing having changed on either PC I'm baffled as to why they're not communicating.I suppose a deinstall and reinstall of FSX is something I should consider or would you suggest ASX be deinstalled and reinstalled?Later... I know I provided a Simconnect.log recently but would it help to provide another?Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest ziporama

Hi Ray,Just a few ideas if I may "hijack" the thread... a)if you have the Deluxe version of FSX (I assume you do since you're networked): you should be able to run SimConnect in the console mode or log mode on the server - this is set in one of the config files on the server and lets you log everything simconnect sees or does, including any errors. The instructions are in the Simconnect SDK under the debug section - I don't have that at hand atm but it's well described and I use that to debug my own code. The information there is quite helpful at diagnostics. Just run FSX in windowed mode to see the console window. Gets very busy when weather is being populated.:( I had a number of problems with the windows firewall, disabled that, only to find that my A/V provider installed a lot more than just the A/V in the form of a personal firewall. That software was monitoring ports and blocked some traffic, in turn causing all kinds of odd problems with Simconnect. I disabled the service and all started working correctly. I've also noted that with my port problems, I was getting a good connection from the client, but it was one way - the return trip never happened. ASX would just "freeze" and become unresponsive after initial connect, or sometimes in the middle (would work great for 2 minutes then freeze up). My advice is to make sure your A/V, router (if you have one) and anything acting as a firewall or filter between your ASX PC and the server are not interfering with the data ports. Also, you may want to reduce your packet size from 8192 (the default) to 4096 in the config files and see if this helps. I'm not sure what that does but I recall reading somewhere it helps.Etienne

Hi Etienne,Hijack away! :-) I'm very grateful for your help as I'm sure this is as frustrating for Jim as it is for me.Yes, I do have FSX deluxe and I have installed SP1 and the SDK SP1.I have previously created a simconnect log but that was because of the problem of FSX apparently locking up when ASX was closed. Jim checked it and reported no problems. If you are able to decypher it I can produce another and upload it or send it privately as the forum restriction on file size may prevent me from sending a full log. The instructions on how to create one are on Pete Dowson's forum over at simflight.I have disabled the Windows firewall on both the FSX PC and my laptop where I run ASX so I don't think that will be a factor.What I'm not sure about is whether the FSX PC is preventing the ASX laptop from accessing FSX or whether the laptop cannot 'see' FSX.The two logs shown in earlier messages are the same in all respects with one exception - the earlier one shows FSX connected but the latter one (today) doesn't. That is baffling.BTW, what's a A/V?Thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Etienne,I've closed FSX, rebooted my laptop and started ASX. The log looks fine and ends with "ASX Initial Weather Synthesis Complete!".Having created a simconnect.ini and placed it in Flight Simulator X files I then launch FSX and after a short while the log window shows and lots of data is displayed.FSX opens at the Free Flight menu and I choose Fly Now with the airport set as Dortmund, Germany (EDLW). FSX then continues to load and I'm placed on the active runway. My aircraft is not a default but I've tried switching to a default but it made no difference.With FSX stablised I give ASX 15 seconds to 'talk' to FSX but there's no indication whatsoever it is doing it. So I close FSX.I've attached the log and if you can see anything that suggests a problem could you please let me know? I've had a quick look through it searching for ASX (no hits) and there are references to weather for EDLW but the METAR info displayed does not match what ASX is reporting.Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,At one point you did have things working, correct? Did you have the GoFlight stuff installed at the time? Remember that GoFlight needs a global scope and AS needs a local scope in simConnect.xml. Does the AI Traffic.exe run OK?Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Jim,Yes, things were working fine up to about a week ago when I switched back to FS9/AS6.5 for several flights. I only returned to FSX/ASX yesterday and that's when I discovered the problem.The GoFlight hardware was not working when I first installed ASX 3 weeks ago but all that was resolved by running the repair utiity on the FSX DVD. I only had one SimConnect folder in WinSxS when I should have had two. After the repair both GoFlight and ASX were fine.My simconnect.xml has both local and global entries. I checked those earlier. That PC is currently turned off but I'll post that file and exe.xml later in case you can spot anything.I haven't tried running the Ai Traffic exe. I'll try that later. Which folder on what PC is it on?Finally, I did successfully install the ASX Gauge to my aircraft panels last week and it did work fine. I have mapped the whole drive containing FSX and included the option for files to be updated.Thanks.PS. I assume the simconnect log I attached is clean?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Jim,I found AI Traffic.exe, ran it and the display looks like this...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/174913.jpgIs that okay?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest ziporama

The log does abruptly end - usually all the modules "close" before exiting. I only saw one exception that seems related to FSUIPC looking for weather data. Your connectivity appears good from what I can see - so I doubt a port/connection issue is a problem as it doesn't remotely look like the timeout issues I had with my software.Nothing apparent from the log, except for a plethora of objects added/removed. I'm curious: On my box, FSX crashes when I hit wake turbulence, and I'm troubleshooting the issue. Can you test a couple of things: a) turn off wake turbulence (slider to 0), see if you crash. :( turn off AI aircraft (both GA and IFR), see if you still crash?Cheers,Etienne

Hi Etienne,Thanks for eyeballing the log. This is getting very depressing.I loaded FSX and ASX but of course ASX isn't talking to it so I was able to set Wake Turbulence to 0 without problem.I also set Ai traffic (Airline and GA) to zero without causing any problems. I did that with the aircraft sitting on the active runway.Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you get it resolved.Thanks,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Here are my simconnect.xml and exe.xml files for infoHope it helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather