FSX/Simconnect nightmare! Please help. SP1, SDK1AI have went up and down these forums with hope of finding an answer. My friend, who is not that computer savvy, is hoping to run Vista Home Premium for server and XP Home laptop for client. We spent last three days trying to install and reinstall and then reinstall some more. Nothing is working. - xPax error is saying "Sim Msg: Failed to connect - Please ensure FS is running". (FSX is runnnig when trying to connect)- I can not get the log to create via simconnect.ini. Does this mean server is not loading simconnect at all?We have RTM and SDK1A Simmconnect versions showing on both computers in Add/Remove. Windows WINSX directory has both simconnect versions on both computers. xml and cfg files are correect as per instructions. Firewalls are turned off. The last item we were not very sure about was the exact location for xml, cfg and ini files. Please tell us where to put the three files, exact locations for both operating sustems, please. Any other adive is most apprceaited. Thank you.

Thanks. Your suggestion was what made me pull my hair out lat night in a sense that I really hoped it would help, but it did not. I also noticed something strange. Simconnect.xml is causing FSX not to load past the splash screen and hang my server machine requiring on most occasions a hot reboot! I re-named simconnect file to .xm_ and FSX fires up in no time :). What can be wrong?

Thanks Jim.We tried it. We went as far as removing FSX, cleaning the registry, re-installing FSX with manual registry clean, applying SP1, SDK from DVD, SDK1a, the whole works on both pcs, using great post mentioned earlier as our guide. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with how VISTA works XML, if it is at all possible to be an issue here? I have posted on another forum under CTD. I then did not suspect that .xml was causing the FSX crash problem. Then, I suspected the March 15th VISTA update that was installed on Vista pc?Suggested test with AI Traffic.exe from SDK package has not worked for us either. Sorry, I should have mentioned it earlier but at 2am I possibly foget a few more things to mention :)Can you please help with these questions:1. What are exact locations for .cfg, .xml, .ini files for Simconnect, on both VISTA(server) and XP(client) pcs? We were doubting it at 2am last night :)2. What are the directories on the server pc that must be accessible read/write to the client pc? 3. Should we install SP2 on FSX (server) and SKD SP2 on the client(XP)? Can it be that the problem is with VISTA/XP? Bu tthen why would FS, on VISTA crash becasue of .xml file?4. Is it possible to run simconnect on a wired network with same setting for simconnect as on a wireless netwrok, or will the settings have to be different? Currently pcs are hooked up via wireless Lynksys router, with port 500 set on forward to the server PC. We are really at a loss here. Being avid MS FS fans, using it since the very first "white sticks and green fields" version, frustrated like never before. Just about to pack it in with FSX and the whole Microsoft gang :). Any help at all is much, much appreciated.

Jim, You are right. Sorry. Good news. Just when I thought we were going crazy we got it working...on XP, the very 1st time we tried. Goes to show you...stay away from Vista, for now.Thanks everyone for your help. It has been interesting few long hours :)