Sign in to follow this  
Guest GZR_Frenchy

Today, I left Providence, Rhode Island (KPVD)

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Took the MAAM B-25 up to 6,500 feet of altitude. Flew a short hop of 89.6 nm to Concord, NH (KCON) ADF 206. Refueled. Then (KCON) to Gander, Newfoundland (CYQX) ADF 280. 7,500 feet for only 782 nm. Nice flight. MS may have left out some scenery here and there. Landed safe.Next stop -- Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (BGSF). ADF 382. 9,500 feet altitude. 1,091 nm distance. Fuel should be no problem. Thank you for leaving in the auto-pilot. With a little bit of luck should land in San Deigo, California in a few weeks or so.Nice plane, really nice.Frenchy -- out.

Guest IanP

Frenchy: Towards the end of the Beta test, I decided to refly a little route that I will always associate with B25s after a documentary I watched once (it was the first thing I ever videoed!!!)Unfortunately, due to a lack of time, I had to cut it into shorter legs, so my eventual flights were:Reading - Bradley Intl, CT.Bradley - Gander, Newfoundland.Gander - Narsarsuaq, Greenland.Narsarsuaq - Keflavik, Iceland.Keflavik - Vagar, Faeroe Islands.Vagar - Prestwick, Scotland.Prestwick - Duxford, England.One of those flights used more fuel than was available in just the auxiliary tanks, if they were fully topped up and not once did I touch an autopilot! ;-)Enjoy your expedition... Strangely, the last time I "hand" flew an aircraft across the US, it was a Fly! Cessna 172 by some guy called Rob Young... Hmm. Sound familiar? :-hahIan P.:-halo

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Almost bought the farm going into Greenland. 1091nm over nothing but water. Got down to about 17% fuel -- period. Flying at 10,216 feet. Made a desparate search on the GPS for anything to land on. Anything. Found BGGH on the GPS and followed my nose. Both engines idled down and almost fully feathered. Nuuk, Greenland is on top of a flat plateau. Lots of Carrier Ops sure helped out. Made it safe on the ground at Nuuk. Taxied over to the refueling square and watched the fuel gauges rise. Then activated the last 90 seconds of the flight and watched. Need to learn how to get every last drop of mileage out of this bird. Think I was sucking way to much joy juice.Following the "master plan" of Steve Downing with a few twists to keep me interested.Yeah, thank you for the Auto Pilot and the GPS. Without those this old frog would have surely "croaked."Frenchy -- out.

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Providence (KPVD) to Concord NH (KCON) ADF 206 -- 89.6 nm Completed 3/9(KCON) to Gander, Newfoundland (CYQX) ADF 280 --782 nm Completed 3/9(CYQX) to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (BGSF) ADF 382 -- 1,091nm Emergency landing 3/10 Had to land at Nuuk, Greenland (BGGH) almost out of petro.Note: Gross pilot error on fuel management.(BGGH) to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (BGSF) -- 170nm Completed 3/11(BGSF) to Reykjavik, Iceland (BIRK) ADF 379 - 728nmCompleted 3/12(BIRK) to Edinburgh, Scotland (EGPH) ADF 368 --

If you have the BT CD, take a look at page 35 of the Pilot Training Manual and you will see that you can - and should - be carrying the 335 gallon droppable bomb bay ferry tank on these long, over-water legs. To "install" the tank, just alter the aircraft.cfg Fuel section's center tank capacity like this:Center1= -1.10, 0.0, 1.2, 550.0, 0.0550 is the normal, over-the-bomb bay tank's 215 gallons added to the ferry tank's 335. Now, unless you really want to try your hand at ditching, you should be able to get where you are going without gliding. :-) Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, and Younghttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest IanP

Bill: Depending on how much difference the heavy iron in the bomb bay makes, Keith and I actually had this conversation when I first started my Trans-Atlantic trek.We decided that, provided you started from Gander, BT should just be able to make the West coast of Ireland. To be more sensible, one stop should be planned, either at Iceland or the Azores. It was only really time that stopped me trying that, so at some point, the Southern route it will be... Possibly direct from Duxford to the Azores, then there back to KRDG non-stop. That should be well within range, even without adding the centre tank. :-)Better alert the VUSCG to listen out for thirsty B25s approaching the East coast! :-hahIan P.:-halo

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Thanks for all the advise guys. It was used wisely and gave me many, many hours of education and fun. Don't think any other aircraft would have held my attention so long. So with that being said. Here is what I did with your excellant work. -------------- Providence (KPVD) to Concord NH (KCON) ADF 206 -- 89.6 nm Completed 3/9(KCON) to Gander, Newfoundland (CYQX) ADF 280 --782 nm Completed 3/9(CYQX) to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (BGSF) ADF 382 -- 1,091nm Emergency 3/10 Had to land at Nuuk, Greenland (BGGH) almost out of petro.(BGGH) to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (BGSF) -- 170 nm Completed 3/11(BGSF) to Reykjavik, Iceland (BIRK) ADF 379 - 728nm Completed 3/12(BIRK) to Edinburgh, Scotland (EGPH) ADF 368 - 737nm Completed 3/13(EGPH) to Dublin, Ireland (EIDW) ADF by way of Sligo, Ireland (EISG)ADF 384 Completed 3/14(EISG) to Dublin, Ireland (EIDW) Completed 3/14(EIDW) to London, England (EGKK) ADF 365 - 260 nm Completed 3/15(EGKK) to Lisbon, Portugal (LPPT) ADF 382 -- 832 nm Completed 3/16(LPPT) to Cagliani, Sardina (LIEE) ADF 371 -- 847nm Completed 3/17 (LIEE) to Frankfurt, Germany (EDDF) ADF 382 -- 648nm Completed 3/19(EDDF) to Athens, Greece (LGAT) ADF 357 -- 976nm Completed 3/23(LGAT) to Baghdad, Iraq (ORBS) ADF ??? - 1,035nm (ORBS) not secure. Flew past Kuwait across the Persian GulfLanded at (OMAL) -- ADF 399 very close to no petro. Completed 3/29(OMAL) to Delhi, India (VIDP) ADF 303 -- 1,181nm Completed 3/31(VIDP) to Chengdu, China (ZUUU) ADF ??? 1,400 nm Note: deviated from flight plan and flew along the Himilayas Found (ZUXC) then turned left into (ZUUU) not sure of actual nm. Completed 4/6(ZUUU) to Taipei, Taiwan (RCTP) ADF 256 -- Completed 4/8(RCTP) to Tokyo, Japan (RJAA) ADF??? 1,177nm Note: deviated from flight plan and flew the islands: (ROYN) Yonaguni, (ROAH) Naha, (RORY) Yoron etc. then over Mt. Fuji and into Tokyo. Completed 4/11(RJAA) to Khabarovsk, Russia (UHHH) ADF 469 - 800 nm Completed 4/15(UHHH) to Magadan, Russia (UHMM) ADF 375 - 869 nm Completed 4/17(UHMM) to Anadyr, Russai (UHMA) ADF 790 - 790 nm Completed 4/18(UHMA) to Nome, Alaska (PAOM) ADF529 - 431 nm Completed 4/19 (PAOM) to Faribanks, Alaska (PAFA) ADF356 - 450 nm Completed 4/20(PAFA) to Anchorage, Alaska (PAED) ADF??? -- 220nm Completed 4/21(PAED) to Whitehorse, BC (CYXY) ADF 353 -- 430 nm Completed 4/23(CYXY) to Calgary, Alberta (CYYC) ADF 254 - 868 nm Completed 4/26(CYYC) to Seattle, Washington ( KSEA) ADF 281 - 281 nm Completed 4/28(KSEA) to San Francisco, CA (KSFO) ADF 379 - 588 nm Completed 4/29(KSFO) to San Diego, CA (KSAN) ADF 245 - 386 nm Completed 4/30I'm almost sorry the trip is completed.Frenchy -- out.