Sign in to follow this  
Guest klucznik

Need your HELP Bill !!!!

Guest klucznik

Hi Bill, I am thoroughly confused on installing the R4D from the MAAM CD ROM and then trying to determine which of the three or four updates to install and in what order. My original MAAM R4D CD has no revision on it at all but if I place the CD in my CD-drive (J) and look at J in Windows Explorer it has a title of R4DED4. The Read_1st file on the CD ROOT say Version 4 and that it is for FS2000. I want to install it on my FS2002. So now, I know there are either three or four updates but I don't know what the file's specific names are and I don't know what the sequence of these updates are. I was under the impression that the R4D should be at rev 4.75. As in almost everything on the R4D, except for the beauty of the aircraft, I am completely confused. I hope you can straighten this mess out Bill.Regards

Guest IanP

Hi again...This is a direct copy and paste from the install notes for the FS2002 patch - version 4.75. The patch name is "r4d_2k2.zip" and it is available here:http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=12517Hopefully this will answer your questions. If not, we might need an interruption from Bill here! :-hah-- --INSTALLATION FOR DONATIONWARE CD OWNERS, EDITIONS TWO THROUGH FIVE (Edition 1 Owners see note at the bottom of this section)1. Load and open the CD (if you need help, there are instructions inside the jewel case cover).2. Select "r4d_fs2k.exe" and double-click it.3. Proceed with the installation, just as you did for FS2000, EXCEPT!!!...4. When you get to the "Directory" page of the installation routine, insert "FS2002" in place of "FS2000" in the path.5. Push the "Start" button. Everything will be installed to the correct folders, providing you followed the instructions, of course. You now have a partially functional Gooney Bird in FS2002. Now we'll repair her and get her flying.6. If you haven't already done so (because you are previewing this readme), unzip "r4d_2k2.zip" to a temporary folder.7. Click on the enclosed, self-extracting archive, "r4d_2k2.exe" and follow the instructions in the installation routine. Remember to change the path IF you used a non-default installation path for FS2002.8. To prevent a "not in library" flag from appearing every time you load your R4D from the Aircraft menu, you'll need to rename its folder, using Windows Explorer. Open the FS2000/Aircraft folder and change the name of the R4D folder from "Douglas R4D-6 NATS v4.0" to "Douglas R4D-6". If you do not want to, or feel uncomfortable doing this, skipping it will not affect anything. You'll just have to live with that warning. Hit the button or Enter and the R4D will load properly.Congratulations! You now have the whole kit and caboodle, ready to fly and try. (see below) As a CD owner, you are entitled to a FREE unlock code. See the section further along in this document on how to obtain it by e-mail. **********NOTE TO OWNERS OF THE ORIGINAL, FIRST-EDITION, DONATIONWARE CD: If you are an R4D old-timer, and bought the Donationware CD shortly after it was first issued in June of 2000, the following applies only to you. How do you know yours is a First Edition? There are two quick ways. Load your CD and open it with Windows Explorer. The CD's title will read, "NATS_R4D". Also, there will be only two executable files (exe extension) - "R4d_fs2k.exe" and "R4d_fs98.exe".OK, now that you have confirmed you have a First Edition, there is one additional step you must take, just as you should have in your FS2000 installation. That is to add the FS2000 NATS Douglas R4D-6 Visual Update, "r4dv40up.zip" (often called the Visual Model Upgrade, or VMU). If you still have it on your hard drive, go ahead and install it, immediately after step 6, above. If you can't find it, download it from RCS or your favorite FS site. Just remember to change the path in the "Directory" page to FS2002. Then proceed with the remainder of the steps. You will NOT need to apply any of the three R4D patches, as their files are either superceded or included by the FS2002 update.Oh, and thanks for being an early and loyal MAAM supporter. :-))-- --Hope that helps. :)Ian P.:-halo

Guest klucznik

Hello Ian, Thank you for your clear expanation of the installation process for the R4D. Yet I am confused in the sense that I have additional R4D updates/upgrades such as the upgrade, two of them, for the R4D AP. As I see no mention of these particular P updates/upgrades I remain confused on the complete R4D installation process. I do not have a problem with installing the CD software as well as the fs2k.exe and the r4d_2k2.exe. The problem concerns the additional updates/upgrades. By MAAM's silence regarding these additional files can I assume that these files did not originate with MAAM but have come from, possibly, RCS? I certainly do not want to get involved in any MAAM/RCS controversy because I really love this aircraft and do want to continue to enjoy flying it. Maybe releasing a new CD with all the various patches included would be a solution? I would have no qualms in sending the CD contribution as this aircraft has given me many hours of enjoyment and I hope it continues.Thank You Ian

Hi Blais.My silence stems from the fact I have been away celebrating my grand-daughter's first birthday - nothing else. I will always tell you the truth about something, rather than ignore it, but I can not be here every minute or day. ;-)The particular edition of your R4D CD will determine which upgrades are and are not included in the FS2002 R4D installation. All of the information is in the read_1st.txt file on the CD. If you have the latest, 7th Edition CD, you need none of the upgrades we (the R4D Team or MAAM-SIM) or anyone else has produced. They are all in there already. The only exception to this is a fix produced by Paul Pridmore to fix the oversized navigation light "blobs". That is called r4dl_fix.zip and you can download it from the library."installing the CD software as well as the fs2k.exe and the r4d_2k2.exe" To repeat - if you have the latest CD, there is only a single executable file you must install for FS2002. That is r4d_2k2.exe. If you have specific questions about upgrades, patches, etc., please give me the exact file name. There is only one AP upgrade that I know of, for instance, so I am confused by your claim to have two.If you are still confused after reading the read_1st.txt, let me know which edition CD you have and I'll tell you exactly what you need.There will be no further editions of the old R4D. We are moving forward to the all new Gmax R4D for FS2002 and FS2004.

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest klucznik

Hi Bill, Thanks for your reply. As we here have three young grandchildern I can honestly say I would, and still do, the same as you. Never apologize for that. I am going to start this process all over again. I will first check the R4D files that I have especially the AP upgrade/updates and then I will get back to you. As far as what edition I have I can honestly say I don't have the foggiest. The CD title as read in Windows Explorer is R4DED4 but I don't know if that Version 4 or what have you. There is no physical Revision marking on the CD itself. The Readme_First.TXT file in the CD's root reads: "FOURTH EDITIONThis is the fourth edition of the Donation-ware CD-ROM". So I guess it's the 4th edition. I will install this CD once again and then install both the RD42K.EXE and then the R4D2K2.EXE. I'm not sure what revision this will bring me up to? Maybe just donating to MAAM for Version 7, the latest I hope, is the least frustrating way to go. I will look into and DL the file you just mentioned above and also get the names of the 2(?) AP Upgrade/Update. What a heck of a way to go. Thanks again for your reply Bill.Take Care