Sign in to follow this  
Guest azflyboy

Question about landing BT

Guest azflyboy

Hello, First, I want to express my thanks to the entire BT team for making such an excelent addon for FS! Second, I had a question about landing BT. After reading the manual (i did RTFM) I was a little unclear about the landing procedure for BT. I understand that the nosewheel on the real BT is held off the ground for aero-braking and to save wear on the brakes. I was wondering at what speed the nose is lowered and the brakes are applied? I ask because waiting for the nose to come down on its own takes an insanley long runway.thanks,David Swindle

Guest tlkhorses

This is basically the way it is done for GA also. The idea is to come in slow enough to maintain flight control, hold it just off the ground and basically let it stall onto the runway. That is a very simplistic explaination but by doing this correctly, you have a very smooth landing. So, watch your final approach speed, use flaps properly and just let it settle onto the runway. You should then be able to stop just fine.

Guest azflyboy

Thanks for the reply.I am actually a current PPL student and was aware of HOW to aerobrake (although the flight school i use wont let students do that due to a few too many expensive scraping noises) My question was when to STOP aerobraking on BT and let the nose wheel come down so the wheel brakes can be used.(I really appreicate the reply so please dont think Im being condescending here)

Hi Terri,Good question, and to clarify, we are talking about holding the nose wheel up after the mains are on the ground. It really depends on where you want to exit the runway. On short runways you'll lower the nose sooner than on long ones. If you have the CD, watch the video showing BT landing at New Garden's short strip to see where Russ lowers the nose. The pilot's manual says to lower the nose while you still have the elevator authority to do it gently and under control. No good saving the brakes if you are going to slam the nose strut into the pavement! You'll need to allow enough room for braking after the nose is down if your speed has not decayed enough through the aero braking to allow a safe turn off. Like everything else, it's a matter of practice and experience.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, and Hamblyhttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest tlkhorses

David,Ok, I understand what you are asking and no problem on the clarification. Bill is correct (guess he should be huh) it is just a matter of experience. I don't think there is a really hard and fast rule though I don't know. At KACT which is close to my home, I approach at the perscribed speed, touch down and hold nose up until around 80 then let her down. Use most of the runway but not much brake.