Sign in to follow this  
Guest TimboDuck

BT Range and cruising speed

Guest TimboDuck

Hi, I'm waiting for my BT cd to arrive and have started to do some flight planning for my next project.Could someone who have tried the BT model please answer the following questions?: (I'm using FS9, BTW)- What is the 'normal' range (with safety fuel reserves) ?- What is the maximum range?- What is the cruising speed?I was planning to fly around the world in the B-25 and would like to know how long that would take... :-) I'm a FS novice, so I thought this would be a great way to learn more about FS and the B-25. Will have to spend a few months planning, though.Thanks in advance!-Timian

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Welcome aboard.Well, this is my second try at posting. Having flown BT around the world twice there is a good chance that your questions can be answered.Almost everything you need to know will be in the BT Manual. The only thing that might hang you up is the range of BT. I ran out of fuel and crashed into the Atlantic on my first try. Bill posted the code lines for me to add a "ferry tank" the same capacity as the real BT. This I put in the Bare Metal Version. Only fly that on cross oceanic flights.Normally shoot for aprrox. 1,200 mile flights in the stock BT.Best fun is planning the trip. You will need a decent World Atlas and a good listing of the world airports. I plan each leg of the trip and then do a Google and check the place out. After that it is fun to go search for hi-res mesh of the area.Wish you luck.PS -- Learned more about the world doing this than they ever taught me in school. Frenchy -- out.

Guest TimboDuck

Hi Frenchy. Thanks for your answer. I agree totally that planning is probably the best part of the trip. I may start to regret the whole thing after a while ;-)I've checked out the route you posted in another thread, and it has helped me fill in some blanks in my rought flight plan. I'm going the other way though. I'm starting to get a little worried about fuel, but I think you were running longer legs than I will.Some rules for my trip:-Doing shorter hops, due to limited time each day. (=many months)-Online at VATSIM, using realtime light and weather conditions.-Hopefully not use GPS (Will have to read alot about navigation!)-Crash = start over!So I'll have to spend alot of time planning the route and training in the 'simulator'.The most exciting part for me is really the realtime aspect where I will have to check local conditions before flying. If I can't handle the conditions I'll just have to wait for the next day. It may be that I'll have to get up at akward hours to fly during daylight on the other side of the earth.My rough plan is: Starting in Oslo, Norway (ENGM) -> Iceland, Greenland, Canada, Down the US eastcost, across to the west coast, and up to Alaska, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Bangkok and that is as far as I've gotten.Some more questions that will help my planning:- What is a typical 'comfortable' runway length?- What kind of cruise speed did experience and plan for on your trip?- What were the differences between your two trips around the world?Thanks in advance!Best regards,Timian

Guest GZR_Frenchy

You will find that after awhile this type of flying is addictive.A 'comfortable' runway length depends on your flying experience. I can pretty much set BT down on anything. In my case I started out in CFS1 and then CFS2. Belong to the Old Geezer Squadron and the Fighting 335th. Many, many hours of flying on the Zone in combat and trapping Corsairs on aircraft carriers. Was taught to fly by a real fighter pilot of prop driven carrier planes. BT is a great plane and can come and go in almost any enviroment. The flaps and brakes are awesome.The cruise speed depends on the amount of fuel left in the tanks. The manual will explain the difference settings in detail.My first trip went from the east coast of the USA and then to shortest leg across the Atlantic. I followed a flight plan posted by others. This was fun but not as much fun as the second trip.The second trip went from the west coast. Crossing the Pacific is not a fun thing. After that it was planned just to go site seeing.First, started doing research on what real world private pilots did when they elected to fly around the world ---http://www.kerrlake.com/mgarratt/index.htmAbove is a link to just such a real world adventure. Also, scan the web sites for new mesh and landclass. Download them and save them in a folder. Load up the scenery for each flight leg. Hope this helps a little.Frenchy -- out.