Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

IFR Panel Mod

Guest davidvoogd

Hello,I've created my own IFR Panel Modification for the MAAMSIM DC-3. I was wondering if I could get permission to upload it to AVSIM and for it to be linked to on your website. It uses all default FS9 gauges, except for an option for Flight1 172R owners to use that planes KAP140 autopilot instead of the default. Here's a picture and description...I enjoy using my DC-3 for IFR flights, and found that the default Directional Gyro made it quite confusing, so I opted to add in the Baron HSI. After that I decided to also add the Baron RMI gauge for better situational awareness. I removed the MAAMSIM VOR1 and ADF gauges. I also added the Bendix King KAP140 autopilot to the copilot panel, it sits at the top left over the alchohol knobs. This way you can use it when you want, but it stays out of sight for most of the time. The Sperry autopilot is left as is, so you can use whichever you want on the go.http://ca.geocities.com/davidvoogd@rogers.com/davespanel.JPG

Hi DavidIf I recall (away from FS just now) the only problem with using those Baron gauges is the nightlighting. They won't be in keeping with the rest of the panel as things stand.I'll leave it to Bill Rambow to answer you about posting panel mods to Avsim, as the offical manual states "textures only" as you know, without express permission; but I post here just to make doubly sure that if and when you do post, bear in mind that under no circumstances should the gauge file(s) or bitmaps be uploaded with add-on work, being part of a payware package. Sorry, I sound a bit pompous and don't mean to be at all ... but as a team member am just covering what is probably obvious to you in the first place!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest davidvoogd

Hello Mark,I never thought of Night Lighting, I'll have to look at that. Crud just when you think things are simple LOL.Anyways I made sure to read the readme of the other panels to see what they said about copyright etc., and noticed that MAAMSIM wants their permission for panels. The file only contains the panel.cfg's of course. Thanks for the heads up, and no worries, you don't sound pompous lol.

Guest davidvoogd

Upon further reflection, these modifications take away from the overall feel of the panel and I have gone back to the original (still have to get used to that horizontal direction gyro though!) and no longer wish to upload this panel modification. Sorry for any inconvenience.BTW - This is simply the best payware aircraft addon I own, it has become my favourite aircraft for FS2004, and I doubt that will change any time soon! It is quite obvious a massive amount of effort has been put into this aircraft, and it is easily the best addon available for FS2004 IMHO. Thanks for such an awesome plane!

Hi David,On behalf of the panel designer (me) ;-) thanks for the kind words about the panel. On behalf of the whole team, thanks for the compliments on the package. Thanks too for observing the readme conditions, and for that matter, just for reading it! I would have said that since you are only talking about a modification of the panel.cfg with no other files uploaded, sure, permission granted. But since you have decided against it, I guess it's a moot point. Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

DavidAlthough it is not an official team download, you may be interested to take a glance at my own 'IFR' panel for the MAAM-SIM aircraft if you have not seen it. Bill winced, I know, when he first saw it as it ######ises his lovely R4D-6 panel realism; but it seeks to give those who wish it a slightly more modern avionics approach which is by no means unrealistic in DC-3 aircraft flying today. It is a popular panel over at DC-3 Airways where pilots use it a lot in multiplayer sessions.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/107270.jpgI have consolidated all 2D windows to be available from the pilot's side - cutting out the FO alternative altogether - and added a number of features. The panel comes with the alternative of Bendix autopilot or conventional Sperry, but in both cases has standby radios added. From my README:QUOTECOMMON TO BOTH PANELS INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE:1. Engine control unit on main panel moved up slightly to clearly show trim wheel markings.2. Bendix Radio Stack offering standby radios and ADF with decimal point function. The default MAAM radios have been removed from the overhead, although the original audio panel remains.3. Default GPS replaced by the Garmin 530 by Don Kuhn and now linked as a pop-up from the pilot's position. Note that this needs to be turned on (second knob down) when first opened.4. ATC Control Panel - Bill Morad's excellent panel, which I have visually modified slightly to fit, sits neatly under the compass as a pop-up and enables control of all FS ATC functions using the mouse, rather than having to use the keyboard.5. Roger Wilco Switch panel - allows selection of up to nine preset (configurable) Roger Wilco frequencies from the cockpit. Toggled as a pop-up, appearing under the compass (in the same place as the ATC Control Panel, but the latter does not function in multiplayer so there is no conflict of positioning; you will never need to use both simultaneously). 6. Gear indicator lights (locked, unlocked) placed centrally on the main panel. 7. A timer by Ike H Slack in a pop-up window for flight or pattern leg timing, together with a digital wind speed and direction readout.8. Aircraft registration, as set in the sim by the user as "ATC name", will appear on the panel under the Attitude Indicator in 2D, IFR and VC views and, just for fun, on the "Operations Manual" in the Speeds Placard pop-up.9. Flight map, gear/flaps, cowl flaps and de-ice gauges icons now provided on the pilot's side.10. Expanded mini-panel ('W' key) now shows the key six instruments, respective to each version.11. Radio CD player by R.L. Clark - an indulgence, but for those of you who enjoy long flights, this is a wonderful add-on. The original README is included. You can play CDs from within the sim and select up to 12 presets (MP3s, WAV files or MIDI files) from your computer's hard drive.12. ServInfo gauge can be toggled from an icon on the lower part of the panel in 2D and IFR views.13. Fuel Quantity gauge now on pilot's panel.14. Door warning light now on pilot's panel.15. FSTSTuner status light on any instance of the Bendix COM2 radio (just above readout).16. Change of instrument nightlighting to a reddish glow typical of many DC-3s. Most early instruments were not actually backlit but were lit by small red bulbs shining down on them. This is the best I could do for now.17. Almost all simicons are now on a pop-up panel on the left side. This enables the panels to be flown 'clean', and also adds the benefit of making all pop-ups accessible from the VC, albeit that inevitably they cannot form 'part' of the VC but appear as 2D images.18. Most changed gauges carry through to the IFR pop-up and VC.BENDIX AP PANEL:1. NAV/GPS switch.2. HSI and RMI fitted.3. Bendix Autopilot on main panel. Radios replicated, slightly larger, on Overhead and in VC (with audio).3. Timers icon opens timer and also Fuel Flow gauge and Windspeed/Direction readout.SPERRY PANEL:1. Bendix radios on Overhead panel. No Bendix autopilot as Sperry remains installed.2. New DG with Heading bug, and RMI fitted. 2. Separate dual DME on main panel. Also in IFR mode and VC.UNQUOTE File name is DCAMAAM4.ZIP; see also a small corrective upgrade called DCAMAAM5.ZIP. Later, Dave Bitzer and I produced DCAMAAM6.ZIP which is an autolean gauge package to complement it.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg