Sign in to follow this  
Guest pollard

Gauge Tweaks?

Guest pollard

Hi,I was wondering if it would be at all possible in some future update to increase the rotation speed of the bezels when tuning the VORs etc. It's agonisingly slow at present when you have to make some rapid adjustments to the card, especially in the circuit, and I'd prefer not to have to pause the sim or rely on FSNavigator to expediate things. Some developers have programmed these gauges to rotate faster the longer you hold the mouse over them - Any chance you might implement this feature in the MAAM products?Oh, and another slightly odd thing (and I don't know whether this is something unique to my system or not) I noticed some time ago that my left primer switch operates significantly slower than the right primer? Is this correct? And if not, has anybody else noticed this? I appreciate that these functions aren't best supported in FS but I do try my utmost to follow the procedures where applicable. The delay is very off-putting here because BT priming and starting is always a real buzz!Anyway, all the support in the cosmos,Sir John :-sword

Guest pollard

OK, then. Not a problem.Sir John :-sword

Hi Ian,Not ignoring you - just hoping Fred Banting was around to address the question, since it would be him having to do the work of your suggested tweak. If Fred programs it, I'll issue a patch. Hang in there, he is probably buried under a blanket of snow in the Great Frozen North. :-)Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest kennethg

I don't mean to contrdict you, but I've never seen a difference in operating time between the primers in the R4D. Also, the adjusting knobs do operate a bit slowly, but I've been using my mouse scrolling wheel to partially overcome it. I actually kinda like slow turning knobs; I almost invariably overshoot with the knobs and adjustors that accelerate on their own.Ken

Guest pollard

Hi Ken,I can't really agree with you on slow turning knobs I'm afraid, not under any circumstances. At least not without the assistance of a co-pilot. And, adjusting the operational speed of a gauge shouldn't really affect how fast you personally rotate your mouse wheel anyway should it? It would, however, make those wheels LAST A BIT LONGER :-lol (I'm a bit of a power user and wear them out quickly!)The primer switch speed is definately a problem on my system so it's very interesting that it isn't on yours, so thanks for that,Ken. It would be interesting to hear others on this. Incidentally, it's the RIGHT primer that runs slow here and not the left as I stated earlier, but there you have it anyway.CheersSir John :-sword

Guest pollard

Hey,Thanks for listening, Bill.Ian :-sword

I'll have to side with Ian on this one. I have indeed noticed the difference in switch timing on those primers, and I occasionally find myself muttering, "Come on, get your finger out!" to those recalcitrant knobs, mouse-wheel or no.I'm always listening - just not always answering ;-)Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Seems Fast Freddie would rather work than talk. Here is a fix he just uploaded..(editted to correct URL)http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/R4D_Gauges_276.zipHere is Fred's explanation;"The slow rotation of the VOR/ADF cards was intentional to sidestep a bug in FS. When programmed using the normal increment/decrement commands as per the SDK these controls will sometimes get stuck in the fast 10 degree per step mode. This was also caused by the Sperry. The solution I used was to allow only single degree steps which unfortunately means slow rotation. I have been able to fix this to mimic the default behavior where the rotation speeds up after the mouse button has been down for about 2 seconds in both VORs and the ADF.Regarding the primer switch, that was simply a screw-up on my part which has gone unnoticed till now :(So here is revision 276 with the fixes, including the gear call-outs that somehow went missing in the last version."I have not even tried it yet, so you can test it out, Ian.Bill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest kennethg

Well I never really noticed either the primer or the slow knobs before now. Ah! I know why - I use Russ's engine start technique which calls for the primers to be held down. I've never just clicked on a primer, I've always held them down so I've never seen the real dwell time of those switches.I go find the patch and apply it. I'll probably be amazed at the difference.Ken

Guest pollard

Hi,Now that's fast! Though I haven't been able to access the link for some reason. I'm getting the HTTP 404 - File not found error. Typical. It's probably something this end! :( Sir John :-sword

Guest pollard

Much obliged, Bill!I'll disappear for an hour or two and have a sortie...Cheers,Ian :-sword

Guest pollard

Back again!Just finished another 1.49hrs for the DCA using the tuned R4D gauge set. Wonderful job! The primer switches are bang-on and the whole sequence is now right up there with BT, brilliant! The VOR's function much more rapidly now and yet don't intefere with mouse-wheel operation so that's absolutely superb too!The gear 'call-outs' are a VERY welcome addition to the R4D but on my system they appear to be extremely quiet and barely audible. I have a relatively old Soundblaster Live card though and this could be the cause of it (it crackles and pops at the best of times so another opinion or two will be needed here)?Incidentally, if the gauge does require further alteration would it be possible to utilise the flap call-outs (and the elevator trim wheel reset clickspot) like BT too? This would be all bases covered I think and would IMO bring the R4D panel to a standard of 'user friendliness' in keeping with her sister ship BT.Whatever the result, thank you very much for taking the time-out to make the existing alterations. It's simply more proof that this development team and it's user support has no equal.Thanks Chaps!Sir John :-sword

Guest pollard

Hi,All I was hoping for was that at some point in the near future (and we had the ball rolling here), before the team is buried shoulder-deep in future aircraft production, that the much loved R4D panel would be tweaked to a point where it offered the same recognisable user friendly features as BT and vice versa?Had the R4D had been initially released with the latest little fixes, full audible flap and gear call-outs, a click-spot on the trim wheel which re-centred it, etc, I, for one, would simply have been much more familiar with the new panel's operation and function, taken it all for granted, and said nothing (and I wouldn't be making a nuisance of myself here :-shy ).I'm not criticizing these omissions, of course, I'm just trying to get them fixed before you move on! The last little patch was IMO a very significant improvement and we were almost done but when I returned with the results - no feedback?If you think I'm expecting too much here, or I'm being greedy (I'm not asking for a new model/variant or anything) then simply say so and I'll find something else to do and move on!Here was my personal agenda for what it was worth;1 - R4D panel gauges fixed to function like BT's.2 - BT's switches to function like new fixed R4D with faster bezel rotation and two-way mouse facility.Bonus features but not absolutely essential;1 - Interactive VCs (I appreciate the stumbling block here)2 - Dynamic shine on BT original livery.I've given MAAM products 2508.9hrs of my own time and this is my tribute to how much I love them so I'm sorry if I come across as a demanding little ????? I never want to see these products upstaged or left wanting and I'm more than happy to PAY for substantial updates!Thanks for your ear!Ian :-halo

Hi Ian,Here's what Fred had to say about your last request: "The flap call-outs are a real bear to implement because the code is a rat's nest that has to hook into several different gauges and because there is an indicator on the panel. I originally thought it not worth the aggravation. I still feel that way :(Agreed the call-out volume is too low, and I can put the centering points on the trim wheel."So, here is the latest gauge fix with those two items addressed.http://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/R4D_Gauges_277.zipBill Rambow MAAM-SIM - Rambow, Visser, Banting, Young, Womack, Sodja & Beaumonthttp://www.fssupport.com/maam_sim/maamsim_logo2.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org