Sign in to follow this  
Guest quink99

Sperry Autopilot Problem

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there. My 2 cents worth!I had the same problem with the autopilot and was told here that that was how it worked. However! Today I brung the Cargo out and tried the autopilot and here are my suggestions for it to function more smoothly!The 3 wheels beneath the autopilot are each set to zero sensitivity and it's worth bearing in mind the mouse wheel can only work when the + or - are showing on the hand and even then you have to be on the right side of the autopilot wheel to get the wheel to move in the direction you want.So, you are flying at 2000ft on a heading of 330dg. Move the autopilot heading compass to align with the course being flown by rotating the rudder knob and then engage the autopilot. I know the elevator will surge, but here I'm just trying to get a handle on the bearing part of it. Once engaged the rudder knob can be rotated to another bearing and the plane will swing round gracefully to that new heading- it even rolls past and comes slowly back!The elevator part I'm still struggling with! but with zero sensitivity dialled in it makes it much smoother and it is possible to set a climb rate that you want, but I do find the lack of a clickable vc a big let-down as the trim wheel doesn't move like the default MS one and I don't like just + or - with no proper movement of the wheel.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Even that idea came to nothing when I tried another 'flight' later as the autopilot wouldn't engage at all!!

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi. Yes I thought that as well, but I'm fairly sure I haven't got the hang of it yet as even with some sensitivity dialled in it was still not functional.It's curious as the 1st time it worked great and that was why I posted!!!

Guest lemonadedrinker

It's working like I said it was before again--no sensitivity dialled in on any of the little wheels and using the upper left hand button to change the heading. It seems to work fine, although I have added the altitude autopilot which makes the whole package really interesting-old style Sperry with the bonus of sorting out the altitude easily.

Guest lemonadedrinker

>>>That's because setting zero sensitivity is also setting zero effect - hence, no AP engagementI know it's very boring to keep banging on about this but the autopilot works far , far smoother with the sensitivity wheels set to zero. I will have to post a screenie of the plane in a turn with the wheels set to zero!Andy.it probably won't work now.

Guest lemonadedrinker

I know I keep wittering on about the zero sensitivity thing but here's a screenshot of it in action, with the wheels set at zero and the plane turning smmooothly onto a new course!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/113184.jpgAndy.

Guest allcott

From memory, the use of the autopilot on/off button means that the Sperry replicates the real device - it's a heading HOLD, not a heading ACQUIRE device. SO you should turn to the desired heading manually, adjust the bezel to match the new heading and then engage. If you don't do it that way, and use the bezel to set the new heading the Sperry controls only rudder, not aileron so will always try and stay wings level while crabbing to achieve the new course. If you are trying to force the Sperry to act like a modern autopilot then the obvious solution is to fit a modern autopilot and not use the Sperry. The charm of that device is that is `old school` and not like the incessantly similar thousands of other aircraft in FS-dom. I don't see the point of trying to make the Sperry work like an instrument that it isn't?But FS offers a `work round` if you must. By using `Ctrl+H` to engage the a/p the device then functions like a conventional a/p and will turn, bank and acquire just like the more modern instruments.And none of this has anything to do with sensitivity settings, so the use of the adjusters can be restricted to just the elevator.Hope this helps.Allcott