Sign in to follow this  
Guest 1358

Erratic VSI behaviour

Guest 1358

Hi folks, i was wondering if anyone had experianced this small problem. I am using the MAAM, DC3, bare metal MV , and a few others all MAAM, i have noticed lately that i am haveing very large swings on the VSI, i am sure we are not talking wind shear. The range of the swings both up and down are 2,000 and sometimes off the clock, now i have saved checked settings and rstarted flights, but it is still persisting, settles for a half hour and and then another half hour of this. It happens when i am using the Sperry, i have of course reset the jolly thing, but to no avail. Also if it helps , on the out side view, quite often the elevator is flapping like crazy, and then settles to a stable position, i ceratinly hope the real aircraft does not behave in this way. I am more than happy to reinstall the lot if i have to, but just in case someone has encountered this, i am asking here , otherwise until i reinstall i am grounded, not much point in flying when it is not behaving it self.. It does not appear to be the trim wheel which sometimes goes to one end or the other, Yes i do reset the sperry every now and then , so i don't think it is that. I do run FSflight keeper, so i was wondering if this conflicts, probably not, but just guessing.PS. i thought it might be frame rates , but i am getting around 30+ most of the sliders down sadly

Hi 1358, May I call you 13 for short? We try not to be too formal here. ;-)This is a new one. It does sound like something is interfering with the Sperry. You speak of "erratic VSI behaviour" and visible elevator flutter. Are you also seeing corresponding altitude changes on the altimeter?Re-installing isn't likely to change anything as the gauge is not something that can become corrupted. Try this test and see if you see the same sort of interference:With the Sperry on and trimmed for level flight, turn all three adjusting wheels at the bottom of the unit to zero, all the way to the right. Now hit Ctrl + Z and then Ctrl + H. See if the plane will settle, after a bit of gentle fluctuation, on a steady altitude and heading. What this does is neutralize the Sperry and allow the default FS autopilot functions to take control. You can make turns under AP control by turning the Sperry's rudder control knob, which acts as a heading bug, but the other two knobs will not affect the flight. Does the erratic behavior you described still take place now? I'm not familiar with FSflightkeeper. Does anyone else have it installed and do you see any interference with the Sperry? Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest 1358

Hi Bill you may certainly call me 13 for short , but not for long:9 , sorry about that couldn't resist, i messed up the Register, but will fix it shortly. so call me Pete. Thanks so much for your response, i will try that and post back as soon as i am able. Regards Pete

Guest 1358

Bill by the way i was so busy trying to be a comedian i forgot to answer your question, yes , you do see correponding changes in the Altimeter, and i have made several flights before Flight keeper, i was grasping at straws really. I will do as you requested and post when i have the info.Thanks again.Pete

Guest 1358

H Bill, well i did some tests as you suggested, I did about 7-8 set ups nearly all with different results, the first time it did settle after taking the dials alway the way to the right, , but it did lots of wierd things before hand , it went off the clock to 6 VSI and did barrel rolls and even standing exactly on it's nose, each and every time it did very,very strange things, and a couple of times did eventually settle , but after pulling the aircraft apart first, and the rest it ended up heading for the deck. I do know it was no 3rd party program as i ran it on it'sown for the tests.Pete