Sign in to follow this  
larshgf

RPM and MP while taxiing

Guest wji

"What are the aprox settings (RPM & MP) when taxiing the DC3?"What I do, Lars, is whatever is required to get the necessary result.It depends upon variables such as density altitude, wind direction, aircraft weight and taxiing surface. I tried to taxi a fully loaded MAAM R4D (prop fine CRTL+F4) on an FS9 dirt runway and could hardly get it moving with full power. I guess in this instance, MAAM's model is a real as it gets.P.S. We don't even want to talk about sand or mud . . . :-)

Hi Bill,I found that on a "standard" start without any special weight and with no winds on a concrete taxiway I used about 2700 RPM and 20" MP. Maybe a little more before turning with the brakes. --Lars

I think the bottom line is that the FS DC-3s take a little more power to get rolling than the real thing. To my knowledge the real one will roll on anything over idle when empty, in the region of 12-15" MAP. I find with the MAAM-SIM birds, fully laden, I need about 23-24" MAP to get them 'unstuck', prop levers full forward, and then once rolling pull back to about 22" MAP at 1700 RPM for realistic taxi speed. I'm talking asphalt runways here, not Bill's mud. You can find yourself having to wind up a lot of power to get out of the ruts on gravel or grass.Airfiles are, inevitably, always a slight compromise; to get one thing right, other issues suffer. To me, though, the level of realism that can be achieved is still quite remarkable.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest dakotapaul

As a ground engineer on the DDA-Daks, I get to ground/testrun the DC-3's a lot. Enjoying very time!! The other day after an initial warm-up we had to tow the aircraft to a dedicated testrun area of the airport for higher power settings. One of our pilots sat in the RH seat and suggested to taxi i.s.o. tow. So I said we had to swap seats (cannot use parkbrake from RH seat). But the pilot said " why don't you taxi her over!" Well, as dumb as it may sound, the use of the CH Throttles (with assigned tail-lock switch) and pedal(brakes) definitely made it more easy for me to move the Lady along that yellow line !! Luckly for me, there was little wind, but still...The use of differential power in turns, the timing of tail lock in/out, the use of wheel brakes... it's just like the real thing. Only the forces applied are much bigger ofcourse. And we needed a lot less power to get her moving as well. In fact, she was excellerating on straight ends with just idle. But that's why there are brakes, I guess. IT MADE MY DAY!! Paul