Sign in to follow this  
Guest rottydaddy

Gross weight?

Guest rottydaddy

Have been flying the MAAM-Sim DC3 for a while now; haven't gotten around to posting here until now (hello everybody, BTW). I have a few questions about this model, and have scanned earlier threads here to some extent and have found no definitive answers. If any or all of them have BPF, I apologize in advance... First: is it only my passenger-configured DC3 that always loads up at about 1200 lbs. over GTW? I haven't yet checked to see if this is a conflict between FS9 and the model, and using RL weight figures doesn't really help, as the operational GTW of the various types varied considerably. It's definitly above GTW for the default FS9 model, but... I've taken to shaving some weight off each row to get it under gross only because it definitely flies like it's heavy when the tanks are full; can barely trim out at 130 KIAS otherwise. Any thoughts? Also: is there some other source besides the MAAM-sim site for the latest greatest patches, etc.? My searches have yielded only tantalizing rumors about window textures, cockpit lighting, etc (you know, all the annoying stuff)... but no joy there. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it... otherwise I'll just soldier on as-is with this mostly-perfect model.

The Gooney was basically a four-tank bird by design. In military guise, she was sometimes required to fly long distances. When flying commercially, however, it was indeed a trade off between fuel and pax load for owners; a full four tank aeroplane with a full pax load would be overweight. As most commercial airlines did not need the four tank range, after WWII, many aircraft had the fourth tank blanked off or removed, thereby creating a three tank aircraft that could carry max pax. This is the type on which the FS9 default aircraft is based (although they have the third tank in the wrong place!).So yes, with a full pax load and full fuel (the latter is rarely necessary for most flights) you will be overweight. You need to choose what your priorities are. The MAAM-SIM bird is modelled correctly.That said, C-47s often took off well overloaded in the military and since in civilian roles. When Roy Farrell flew the 'plane that was to become 'Betsy' for Cathay Pacific from New York to Shanghai in late-1945/early-1946, his gross weight for the trip when fully fuelled was 33,000lbs. He did have extra tanks, mind you .... but she flew. Climbed slowly, but flew. Just as well he didn't lose an engine on takeoff over the Atlantic...MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest SPOFF

Just finished a book by BOB BUCK. "North Star Over My Shoulder". He flew "The Lines" in the Thirties up to the Sixties. He flew DC-3s for TWA back when DC-3s were the plane of choice. He flew Lockheed Constellations...he flew the first one on line for TWA. He retired flying 747s Transatlantic for TWA.Before the war, TWA mandated 25,200 pounds Max Gross Weight for the DC-3. When Bob went to fly for "Air Transport Command" (DC-3s) during the war, the Gross Weight went UP to 32,000 pounds. A great book. Bob is now retired and living in Vermont. SPOFF

Judging by your screen-name, my guess is you either have a Rottweiler or a very naughty kid. ;-) I guess I would be a Golden Gramps, for my Golden Retrievers (and of course my good-as-gold grand-daughter. :-) We do like real names here, as we are a friendly bunch (most of us anyway). Welcome to the MAAM-SIM forum.To answer the second part of your question, I don't know of any secret hideaways with patches, etc., for our packages. There is no need, because we post virtually everything we can find associated with our products on our Free Stuff page: http://www.maam.org/flightsim/enhance/enhance.htmIf an enhancement is posted for MAAM-SIM planes by anyone, I link it to the page, as long as it does not violate our upload conditions. If anyone knows of any such that I have not located and linked, please let me know where it is housed, or send it to me, and I'll be happy to put it on the Free Stuff page.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest SPOFF

Hi Rottydaddy: I hope you wern't(sp)intimidated by RAMBOWS rant about screenames. Sometimes he gets his pantys in a knot when you don't reveal your REAL name, Social Security number and your dogs 11 digit ID Number. He's really a nice guy and should be commended for his work here on this forum. SPOFF (My real name):(

SPOFF, I happen to know that is NOT your real name, although I'll accept that it is your nickname, sure! I'm going to back Bill up here; all he asks for - doesn't insist on, but asks for - is real names, no more, and the forums that follow that practice are famous for their civility: DC-3 Airways, for one. I have a moniker myself, but I do not hide behind it. There's just something odd about having to reply to people who don't sign themselves for who they really are, that's all. No offence intended whatsoever, I know it's common practice in many forums, but I'm in the Rambow camp in this one.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Hi SpoffRant? I hope your tongue is firmly imbedded in your cheek. I rarely rant, and never on this forum. Also, please stop calling me by my last name, unless you were in the Army with me. Rambow is not a screen name or a nickname. Perhaps I should be happy that at least you are including the W! As Mark correctly points out, asking for real names - the one you were born with, is just a way of making things more friendly. Friends call each other by their first names. I have never asked, let alone insisted, on any other information and do not care if profiles are filled in, or not. After asking for a visitor's first name once, as I did with you and Rottydaddy, I never ask again and I try treat them like everyone else. Your characterization makes it sound distinctly otherwise. I appreciate that you think I'm a "nice guy" and your commendation. It may surprise you to know I even have a screen name - 'Panther Charlie', which was my Infantry Company's call-sign in Vietnam.Now be nice and go vote for some screenies. It's the friendly thing to do.;-) Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/maamsim_neon.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest SPOFF

Hi Bill, Hi Mark: Glad you didn't take my comments personally. It WAS mean't to be "Tounge in Cheek" although after I posted I thought perhaps I had been a little too "familliar", being as we havn't actually MET in person yet. No offense was intended.My appologies for referring to you by your last name alone. I am Ex Navy and when I was in service,(1959-1968) most everyone at or below my paygrade was referred to by their last name ...as you have noted. The one person NOT addressed by their Last Name Alone was addressed as "MASTER CHIEF", or Commander, etc.. It's a habit I got into in my formative years and I never got over it.Bill: I have corrosponded with Mark by Email a couple of times in the past and he is correct. SPOFF is my "nickname" which is a contraction of my real name. Mark, you ARE authorized to relay "our" email conversations and reveal my "undercover" identity to Bill if you care to. :-) Cheers: SPOFF

Spoff, the public has a right to know. Bond, James Bond.There, it's out. Sue me if you will, or if you now have to kill me I'll fully understand :) MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest SPOFF

MARK: Have your people call my people and we'll do lunch. I'll be in town next week. SPOFF :9