Sign in to follow this  

hardrive thrashing

Hi all, I have a Dell P3/800 with a Nvidia Tnt2 video card with 32megs of ram. I have 384megs of system ram with Win98SE. All of a sudden, my system is going nuts. All the while I am flying is FS2002, the hard drive is thrashing constantly. This is new in the last few days. The only thing that has changed is I added a KDFW scenery & installed Office XP. Nothing seems to change the amount of thrashing. My sliders are about mid level. I have defragged using Norton 2003, I have also tried both a static & dynamic swap file. No changes. Any ideas? Thanks.Pat Callaghan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If Office XP is like Office 97, it includes a "utility" called Find Fast (or maybe it's FastFind), I can't remember which. It's a TSR (background process) that watches what files you access and tries to build an index so it can retrieve them quicker. It tries to keep updated which results in a lot of HD activity which is detrimental to FS. If this utility is present, you can see it on the process list (ctrl+del). You can effectively disable it in the scheduler - at least that's how I did it.Hope this helps.Calhover long and prosper

Hy,two other ways to disable any background-utilities are:1.) Look into Start->All Programs->Autostart and delete all entries you don