Sign in to follow this  

Well I have been loving FSX multiplayer for the past few days. There always seem to be a wealth of servers available in the evenings when I have time to fly, and I can find servers that are as close to the real thing as you can get, or relaxed and full of uncontrolled strips with people "airport hopping" together. I do have one question. I have a great cable connection, with a 7 or 10 meg pipe, can't remember, and have great pings when in game with ZERO lag. When I host a game, my game is red - by that I mean the bar is red, not green and it says -1. I have heard this means my server is slow.Are there any ports I need to open to allow proper hosting, as I have had to do this for other games/sims. I have a linksys router by the way, and a time warner cable connection with ONE computer online.Thank you for your time.Danon O.

You can open specific ports on your firewall, but when you allowed FSX to access through it, it pretty much opened them anyway.If you want to make sure they're open, set exceptions for UDP ports 23456 and 6073.The -1 ping doesn't neccessarily mean your ping is bad or server is slow, it just means that gamespy is unable to ascertain your ping, in this case because you're behind a router. Several of my friends operate behind routers, their sessions always show -1 ping, and I don't experience lag on any of them. They take a little longer to show up in the session list is all.Also make sure to set a reasonable player limit. I have a very fast cable connection but if I'm hosting anything more than 16 players then things start to bog down a bit, leading to choppy voice comms, the usual deal.Hope that helps.