Sign in to follow this  
FlyinIron406

Zone Alarm Suite or Norton Internet Security?

I have Internet Security now, and can upgrade for $40USD. I could also get the ZAS for the same amount through a promotional offer, what would everyone do?

Guest ba747heavy

I use Zone Alarm Free and I think it is a pretty good firewall. I don't have any experience with the pay versions.

Guest dre777

I run Sygate Personal Firewall, highly recommend it, and have been meaning to buy the Pro version $40. If you need antivirus AVG from Grisoft is the way to go. I used to have Norton Internet Security, but found that it was a resource hog, incredibly difficult to completely uninstall, and not very user friendly.Regards,Andre

Guest Paul_W

Prior to upgrading my hard drive, I used the Norton Internet Security 2003 firewall. I hated it, and found it very un-user-friendly. I had to post more than one detailed question on the Symantec help forum in an effort to solve various issues. The company posted helpful replies, but I really resented the complicated set-up and architecture, etc., that led to all the time I had to spend investigating the darn thing.On a computer radio call-in program recently I heard the hosts also saying that they hated NIS. They also said there was a free utility available via the Symantec site that could be used to properly remove it from a system. (Incidentally, they felt Norton Anti-virus was a decent product, and I also had a good experience with that one: It was NIS that got poor marks, not the Norton anti-virus software.)

Guest drobson

If it says "Norton", I'm abortin'! ;)I've never liked Norton or McAfee products. They take way too much control over your system, and are almost impossible to get rid of. Go for the ZoneAlarm offer.DarrellBear in mind this is my personal opinion!

Guest Ray CYYZ

We dumped Norton in favour of the corporate ZA. Much simply product and works well.The free version does pretty much everything you need for home use, but the next Microsoft Service pack will also do basically the same thing.Don't spend anything yet until you see what actually ships in the service pack.You can live with the free ZA and free Lavasoft AddAware until then.

Guest buggabee

The free Zone Alarm works fine. 29 million people can't be wrong.http://www.download.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=...&search=+Go%21+I stopped buying Norton products 2 years ago. Loved the 7 day technical support reply that was a xerox from their Faqs on their site. Never did get the program to work correctly.Their crappy technical support has been written about extensively in several PC mags.If you're looking for an antivirus replacement for Norton, try Avast. I replaced NAV with it two years ago and haven't had a problem.Good luck!

Guest adambar

I myself prefer Zone Alarm,iused to have Norton but wasnt impressed,besides it ate up to much power.

Guest Philip Olson

I strongly urge you to stay away from Norton! Now they do have a pretty fair product if you are an average user and install it on a computer that you use for email, internet, and some word processing programs and never uninstall it or want to tweak your computer. Because you use FS9 I can tell you right now that you do not want it, it is a resource hog and will cause FS9 to slow way down. Additionally it seems that FS users tweak their computers and are more knowledgable in general than the average user and I have seen several problems created by a combination of tweaking and having Norton's products installed on their systems. One other word of warning I should tell you is that in the past two months I have gotten four calls from people with computer problems and when I got there I found that Norton had allowed a virus onto their systems, in my opinion that is not a good sign. As someone who fixes computers for a living I can say that Norton is not that great a product. I use Zone Alarm Pro for my firewall and it is a very good product, I do not have the rest of their products though so I can not comment on them but I would assume they are good too.Take care, Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg