Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my monitor only - I have an nVidia 2700+ CPU with 1 gig Ram (Sorry don't know which type - not a computer buff unfortunately) I have an nVidia FX5600 graphics card and have Windows XP home. 15" CRT monitor running at 1024 X 748.I'm very happy with this system which I put together about a year ago. Due to desk top space I didn't update my monitor at that time, now I fancy I've room for a bigger monitor - 17 or 19 inch may be possible. I understand that CRT monitors are best for Flight Sim stuff. I'm looking at a LG Flatron Ez T910BU 19" (friend has one seems good??)These forums have stood me in good stead in the past for system advice and I'd welcome any advice on this subject. (My thanks to any of you who replied to an earlier post :-) )Regards Blue

Who said CRT is better for flight sims?It depends what CRT we are talking about. If we are taking CRT:S which hasn

Par, Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. One further question. I'm currently happy with the resolution of 1024 X 748 on my 15" monitor. With a 17 or 19" monitor (Say CRT for now) would that resolution still be the one to use? Or is there a set resolution for the size of the screen? I'm sorry I'm no expert when it comes to computers. Thanks.Regards Blue

Guest SoarPics

"Or is there a set resolution for the size of the screen?"Not so much for CRT's. Windows will look at the video card/CRT combo and try to establish a max res for it. But in most cases the limit will be in the video card (most good quality CRT's can easily run at higher resolutions). The better the video card the higher screen res that can be run without noticeable FPS hit. If you get a larger monitor you most likely would then want to take advantage of it's higher screen res capabilites, although your current video card could become a problem.Hope this helps,Greg

Greg, Thanks for the information. I shall have to see how the new monitor runs. My picture clarity, colour and resolution is most satisfactory at present. Regards Blue

Guest baksteen33

G'day gentlemen In my endless effort to keep things simple, this is my somewhat definition of computer implications: It starts with the software IT needs to run and -equally important- traditionally ends with the resolution, the user wants to enjoy. Greg's hint in the direction of the display adapter thus over-valid IMHO. Sure, this monitor is great, that display is fantastic... But the display adapter should also be 'adapted'. Hence, the implications, one by one (please feel free to modify or complete...): Bigger display --> Better display adapter --> Better CPU --> Stronger power supply --> More RAM--> Man, you got a new puter!! Hehe Soooo, if you don't want to upgrade your hardware, perhaps go for a 19" CRT and give the next following resolutions a try (i.e. 1152X). Btw, I'll add Compaq's P-series (not 'S') to the list of nice CRTs (one push switch into fine picture mode, very nice for FS. Also obtainable second-hand). For 1280x1024 TFT-resolutions, you'll hardly get around a 9800pro-class card, if you don't want to see FS fold with weather (and 'nice' settings!). Without weather (!), hehe, a 9600pro is fine @1280x1024 (@ high AA/med AF). Your 5600 will likely suffer with a 19"TFT and a fixed resolution of 1280x. Generally, CRTs offer more flexibility. Which resolutions can be used, depends on the display adapter's drivers. Which adapter brand, is more a question of the other software you need to run? I.e. 3D-glasses or Linux? Which Atis do not handle or less well. Hope this adds food to thought. Cheers, good luck and kind regards Jaap