Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dakota

Need a video card to get me by for awhile - which one?

Guest Dakota

I currently have a p-4 2.5 GIG and a NVIDIA TI-4600. I just want a little kick in performance to get me by till late next year when I get a new computer. I am thinkng about getting a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro as I don

if you use AA and AF it would be worth upgrading but only realy if you go for a top end card, but if you go for the 9800 and do not use AA and AF the difference is not worth it. the Ti 4600 is still better than quite a few cards and a lot better than those that come with most new PCs. i think this link should be pinned at the top of the hardware forum as people are always asking whether they should update this or that card and are asking what if any improvment they would see: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2..._charts-09.htmlthat said, you could get a XP3200 and Mobo for less than a decent video card and i would have thought this would give you more of a hike.

Bruce,I do also have a GeForce 4600, 128 MB (in a 3.2 GHz CPU and WinXP, 1 GB RAM).Yet I get terribe fps when flying in clouds (2-8 fps are typical numbers!) - and 3-5 second stutters. I am currently using the latest Nvidia drivers (61.77) and I use AA 4x and AS 2x, I am considering to get a ATI 9800Pro (the X800

Edmundo Azevedo

Edmundo i certainly get better frame rates than you and i have all settings maxed in FS except for a couple that are lowered for non-performance reasons (mipmapping and lights), only concession i have made is to convert all my cloud textures to DTX3. I use the 45.23 drivers, i have tried all the more recent ones and have noticed a falloff in performance, although they all work the later drivers where all written for the newer cards, the 45.23 where the last drivers written specifically for the G4 ti before the new generation of cards came out.you should be getting substantially better performance than me as my CPU is roughly equal to a 2.8 gig cpu so your 3.2 should give you the edge. are you sure all your fans are clean and free, also what promted you to update the drivers to 61.77, have you tried the 66.81 drivers from Nvidia (they are not whql certified for the older cards but are for the new), or the newer ones from Microsoft Windows XP Update? i found both these drivers better than the 61.77, although still not as good as the 45.23 (which were a big improvement on ealier drivers).

Last month, after munting my Ti4800se, I figured all I could afford was a 5900XT. I didn't expect much of an improvement, but really this is like a new sim. I suspect that the 5900 (or 9800, which is equivalent?) needs a processor at least 2.5 (I have an Athlon 2600) but yeah, you'll notice the difference. Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Guest baksteen33

Hi John, what resolution do you use? Do you use Linux or other software which prefers Nvidia cards? Your combo with a 9600pro i.e., should do FS9 beautifully @ 1024x with high AA/AF. Good luck and kind regards Jaap