Sign in to follow this  
woodreau

Show me some charts!

OK, I'm having a blast as I get back into flight simming after a lay off. I'm looking for charts/maps. It seems Jeppesen is the leading brand. Free is always good too - but I don't mind paying for something good. Do you folks have recommendations for charts/maps for FS2002 I can look at online? Send URL if you have them bookmarked. Like I said Free is good, but I dont mind paying if its worth it!Thanks...

If you fly in the US, $39 a year will get you all the IAP charts free, and up to date too. You also get a magazine, and access to weather, and flight planning resources. I'm talking about joining AOPA.Here are some bookmarks I had bookmarked for free charts. I have not been to them in a while, so they might be broken links:http://www.clearanceunlimited.com/http://edj.net/cgi-bin/echoplate.plhttp://www.navdata.at/I also have a complete set of paper charts for the US, IAPs, lo-al and hi-al nav charts. I lucked up and got them from the FSS in my area. You could check with your local airport or flight shop. They throw out old charts every month or so when they expire. I know my local airport keeps charts for the surrounding area in the flight planning room. I used to work there and I'd take them home when we got new ones in.

Join the AOPA? Well the price is not outrageous. I guess it might make sense if one wants to become a real-live pilot one day anyhow. I wonder how many sim pilots (only) have joined... Anyway thanks for the links ... I may still go with the Jep as I'm looking to have paper in front of me...Further suggestions welcome as well!

Real IAP TERP manuals are printed every quarter and for each area (which could cover several states) is only $4.50 each for the USA and might prove economical if you don't need the entire U.S. Available at local pilot shops, etc.Somewhat outdated but useful album of all US IFR Low Altitude Charts is about $25 as I recall when I purchased at www.desktopwings.com.Foreign (to U.S.) Low and High Routes are available there as well.

I don't recommend going with Jeppesen: They're darned expensive: a sampling of prices to get approach plates/DPs/STARs/low and high alt enroute chartsUS $410Canada/Alaska $200Europe $670Eastern Europe $225Pacific $150Middle East $290Latin America $100South America $100Africa $350Atlantic $160Looks like the whole world would run you several thousand $$. You will need some way to get them organized, there's just too much paper running around, looking at about 40 2-inch binders, but you will have the approach plate for that obscure airport in the Chagos Archipeligo or Mynamar.If you are dead set on getting Jepps, you can get targeted areas, e.g. just California or just Texas or the Southwest, www.jeppesen.comThe US government charts are a much more inexpensive alternative Or you might want to look at the SimCharts v2.0, but you don't get enroute charts for certain areas.and the other options others have given...Cheers :)Woodreau / KMVL