Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

ati 9800 pro to x800 xl or x850 xt

What do you guys suggest is a better move looking at specs and price, im getting a nice amount for the 9800 and a good price for the x850 xt well $549 CAD, not sure how good that is. The x800 is at 400$ CAD. So i'm not even sure if i should upgrade in the first place.Guess im looking for ideas from you guys!!Thanks and i'm so confused

Hi,It's always a tough choice.I upgraded from a FX5600 to a Radeon 9600xt, and was very pleased. But my 9600XT only cost me $110.00 :-)I would recommend you wait a bit and let the prices drop. I really feel a card like yours or mine could get you through over say the next 6 months or so.That card may be 50% less by then, who knows.I would look at the benchmark sites like guru3d and see some comparisons between the two and see if the high cost is really justified or not.9800 Pro is a very good card for this current sim. You may only gain a few FPS in certain situations depending on the rest of your system.Regards,Joeaopa.gif" border="0" alt="Grab My FREEWARE Voice recognition Profiles here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=58334]Cessna 172 Voice Profile[/a][a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=60740]FSD Avanti Voice Profile[/a].You will need the main FREEWARE Flight Assistant program to use it, get it here:[a href=http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=genutils&DLID=39661]Flight Assistant 2.2[/a]

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

So i appreciate what you say but can you suggest if the additional $175 it would cost me after i sell my 9800, is it worth it now to get the x800 or for $375 cad if i get the x850xt. Or again none at all even at these prices. Of course that also depends on budget, but you may have more experience than me in this hobby therefore if you can put yourself in my shoes as far as price vs performance. I don't want to spend $175 for 2 fps either but if the visual quality goes up substantially then sure id go for it since i can go to 6x AA and 16AF at 1280x1024x32.Thanks your words were very helpful on the 1st post.

Guest stanosmax

Hey Joe....$175 for 2FPS is about the going rate it seems! I paid 400US for a gain of 3fps!You should list the specs of the rest of your machine,then we might be able to determine if your upgrade is worth it or not.I had the 9800 pro,it runs FS pretty good.Went to the 6800GT,marginal increase in performance,however,I play other sims also,and it was a better card for those.I think getting the X850 will help quite a bit,but for the price,is it worth it to you? One thing for sure,if you get that X850,you will be ready for the current/newer games to come out.Stan

Guest oyvindhansen

Even if you dont gain much fps, especially at lower screen resolutions where the CPU is more of a limiting factor, an upgrade may increase your picture quality. I have the 9800, and I find that more than 2x AA and 8xAF on 1280x1024 decreases the performance. The newer cards lets you turn up AA and AF without such performance penalties. The X850 XT has always been a poor investment, especially as its successor is about to be launched. The X800 XL is a much better bargain while being a nice improvement from the 9800.-

Guest baksteen33

Hi Oyvind, I share your impressions, at 1280x a X850XT is most likely a bit overkill. I swapped my AGP 9800pro/128MB for a X800pro/256MB today and the only things I could -briefly- observe (@ 1280x): Improved framerates in the VC and (showing the min, average and max fps) that the minimum framerate drops to 'low' values less frequently. I don't think a X800XL or X850XT would be able to deliver further improvements and that I've definitely hit my CPU limits now. Since I don't intend to use 1600x resolutions, I think this investment (250 Euros for a HIS w/ IceQ cooling) was the best I could do and more would have been overkill. Good luck and kind regards Jaap FlyTendo: AMD64 3200 Clawhammer s754, nForce3 250Gb, 2GB RAM, Audigy2ZS, many fans, etc, etc. FlyTendo components on order: 3700 San Diego s939, nForce4 SLi, X800XL IceQ, 470W BeQuiet PSU

I can get a good deal on an x800 XL is this card above the PRO by a little, because where i want to buy it, the PRO is actually more expensive? Also should i just go with an XT version or XL is in between and a good bargain. I'm upgrading from 9800 pro?Here is the breakdown in price ATI x800 pro 599.99 Canadianx850 xt 549.99 (CAD) special offer 1 day left x800 XL 399.99 (cad)x800 xt or platinum not offered at store.

Guest baksteen33

Hi Joe, I'ld go for the XL and save the rest for the next major upgrade (or rudder pedals if you don't have some already). AIM, the only area where I could see a difference with the X800pro was in the VC and in dense areas we'll probably continue to face our CPU limitations. Hope this adds to thoughts, good luck and kind regards Jaap

So no wya should i go to x850 xt since i dont run at 1600x1200 and my system is p4 3.0 ghz and 1 gig pc3200 400 mhz ram. The x800 xl is suffice right? The rest is overkill!