Sign in to follow this  

P4B533 Mobo problem when playing FS2002

Just upgraded to a P4B533 and a P4 2.4Ghz chip (533fsb). When playing FS2002 (or any other intense 3D game) my mobo beeps now and then. The manual says it is the cpu over heating and or the voltage is too high or low. Thing is the PC is just fine and the temps are ok.Any ideas? Anyone else with this mobo have this problem? Maybe I'm missing something.Thanks in advance.

Guest gasebah

What kind of power supply fo you have? Could well be an overstressed power supply.Alex

It's a 300W power supply. Should be plenty as the mobo specify's a 230W as minimum and recommended 300W if you fully load the board.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

With the Specs that I see, the 300W Power supply is the absolute minimum!The GeForce Ti Card needs a LOT of power... And you also have a hard disk, I beleive a CD/DVD Rom and maybe a CDRW too...I would recommend changing the power supply to at LEAST 400W.Also, the PC may appear cold to you, but it may be not...Try this, when it does that, restart it, and go into the BIOS and the monitor page. Then observe the temperature shown there.George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Ya but what about all the peripherals you may be driving? How many diskdrives, cd-drives, floppy drives, USB, COM, parallel ports, etc. are you providing power?

Guys I appreciate the help BUT the power supply is not the problem. I ran that exact card on a 230W power supply. As well Intel says P4's can and will run on 230W PS, as well the MOBO manual says 300W is plenty even with all the components maxed out (4 drives 6 PCI cards and 6 USB).Quote from the manual"The minimum recommended wattage is 230W, for a fully configured system on this board we reccomend a 300W PS"

I have the same motherboard and similar specs, I don't have any problems. What are you using to monitor the temp? Are you using the standard P4 heatsink? If so, did you scrape the pad from the bottom and use thermal paste? If not, give that a go.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Thanks John, this is what I'm looking for. Someone with something similar.I'm using the ASUS PC Probe utility to monitor the mobo/cpu/voltage. I even logged it while playing BF 1942 and everything was steady as she goes however I still got the annoying beeps every now and the. Let me add the system is stable and runs with out a hitch except for the mobo beeping!

ah, thought as much! Probably whats making that annoying 'beep'Dumb that, doesn't work terribly well. I don't think you really need to worry about your temps, P4s run nice and cool with the default heatsink, even when overclocked.If you're intent on having a utility to monitor such things, try motherboard monitor. It can be found here: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/Good luck :)

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

You get the beep when you get a "spike" in the Asus Probe reading. no big deal as you just gotta go into your bios and disable the warning. Also Asus Probe is less than reliable. Motherboard monitor is better.

Guest jase439

It may not be an "underpowered" supply (although 300 is really weak). It may be a voltage drop (or spike) on a line from the PS - which is a situation you DO NOT want. You're risking serious component damage to your hardware if the voltage regulators in the PS are fritzing out on you. That is bad news all the way around.Get a reliable probe for this. ASUSprobe, as others have pointed out, is pretty poor.JPS. It's likely not heat either unless your heatsink is not attached to the CPU or you have little or no thermal compound between the CPU casing and the sink surface. Besides, I think the P4B533 has an internal heat trip that will cut power to the CPU if it reaches critical temps.

The beep comes from the main board speaker (well it's on the case). It is the same speaker you hear beep when it boots up. I also have the C-Media disabled as I use the SB 5.1 PCI card. I find the frames are better using it. Just for the record too I'm on 98 SE.The beep has me bewildered to say the least. Even after uninstalling the PC Probe software and disabling the health monitors in the bios it STILL does it! I may just unplug the speaker all together!