Sign in to follow this  
Guest heclak

New Graphics Card

Guest heclak

HI guys,i know it time to change my vid card. I just have no idea which to buy.I sort of made up on the 6600GT but the specs on the X700 looks good too.Here are my choices.6600GT 128mb DDR3/GDDR3X700 256mbThe higher cards are out of my budget. How's the 6800LE. I've heard about staying away from LE cards. But is it true in this case where the card has more pipelines?Thanksby the way. Here are my com specs.P4 2.6, 512 RAM, Nvidia FX5200 128mb.Not sure to upgrade my ram or video card first?

by the way. Here are my com specs.P4 2.6, 512 RAM, Nvidia FX5200 128mb.About the same as what I started 2004 with...Dunno about the specific cards...I hate to comment using hearsay, when I've never actually used one... :/ But myself, I just got a better card, but didn't want to spend too much being this system willprobably be obsolete before too awful long. IE: I'm running a 478 socket P4 2.4 prescottclocked up to 3.0-3.4 ghz. AGP naturally..I've been at a few puter stores and noticethe 478 socket's are falling out fast. Intel is hardly shipping those, etc, and most are the 775, 778?? socket, or whatever. And many are going the newer PCIe or whatevervideo..And Athlon another game altogether...So I couldn't see dumping 3 bills on a cardthat I might not be able to use in a year whenI probably upgrade to deal with the supposed2006 version. So...I bought a used 9800pro AIWon e-bay for 100 bucks plus ship... It's good nuff to hold me until the next platform...Beats blowing big cash, and is not a total slouchin itself. And the TV/video part is super coolif you dabble with that sort of thing. I thought my fx-5200 flaked out, but it turnedout to be another problem. Usually when I buy a new card, I go to all the hardware test sites, and read the benchmarks.Gives you something to start with. Then getreviews from actual FS users as to how theydeal with certain elements... IE: some do cloudswell. Some better at dense landscape buildings, etc..If I spend buckoo bucks, I want good at *both*...BTW...I also upped my ram from 512 to 1 gig. Not to say you can't fly with 512, but 1 gig is better, asit slightly reduces disk loads, which add stutters.I'm P4 now, but next round? Who knows.... I neverknow until I actually get ready to buy...Then I have to research it for a month to decide... Hardwarechanges real fast, and I don't keep up if I don't need to.. :/ BTW... The 9800pro vs the fs -5200??In the big cities, surpisingly the 5200 ain't half bad. I usually got decent rates in most places, until the dense RW clouds kick in...Then it's slowsville... The 9800pro seems to be mediocre atdense cities, buildings, etc, but kicks butt atclouds. Also...You can run a much higher res onthe 9800 being you have more video HP... I can runat 1600 no prob with the 9800pro. Was fairly sluggishon the 5200 at that res... :/MK

Hi,I've had lots of nVidia cards, about a year ago I bought a ATI 9800 Pro. Never again ATI for this guy! I've had nothing but trouble with it. Of all kinds. The card is fine but it's almost impossible to get a proper driver for it. It either crashes or makes shimmering or drops to 5 fps in 2d or wobbles or ... you name it!I'm back to nVidia in my new rig. Some small issues with the latest driver, yes but nothing fatal, not like the ATI.So my advice, stick to nVidia. If you still want to find a 9800 pro (they are very cheap now), make sure you use the old Omega 2597 driver if you wanna stay out of trouble ;).Eagle

I use Omega 2.5.42 with my X850. Works not bad. JimCYWG

Guest heclak

thanks for all your advice. After reading all of the comments. I think i'll stick to the 6600GT eventhough its 128mb. I guess a familiar brand would save me lots of trouble. THanks.