Sign in to follow this  
Manny

10,000 RPM vs 7,200 RPM RAID 0

Guest navav2002

I ran on my single WD Cavier 250gb SataII 3gb/s 16mb cache...I'm using the 4800x2 on an Asus A8R-MVP Deluxe mb...It's not a nForce4 mb...It runs a ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 CrossFire northbridge...Here are my results:Burst speed.....165.0 Mb/secRandom access.....13.3 msCPU utilization.....2%Average read.......52.8 Mb/secNow on my FX-57 Rig...Using the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mb...nForce4 chipset...Here are my "Single" 36gb Raptor HD numbers:Burst speed.....127.0 Mb/secRandom access.....9.1 msCPU utilization.....5%Average read.......58.5 Mb/secI'm not exactly sure what all this represents...I need to study and learn all of that...But I'm wondering why the "Burst Speed" is on the low side?? My Cavier's burst speed is a good bit higher then that...And maces burst speed on his Cavier basically blow's it away...I guess I have some studying to do...Here are my numbers of my Raptor150's in a Raid0 Array:Burst speed.....230.9 Mb/secRandom access.....8.3 msCPU utilization.....10%Average read.......120.0 Mb/secI'd love to see some numbers from Manny's WD Cavier SE16's in the Raid0 Array!!Have Fun...

>Can you go up a post and read that one...You type quicker>than me..he he>Oh, I must have missed your earlier post...I read it just now..>I wonder if it may be the chipset?? I dunno...I typed more>above..>Yeah, I think that was one of the changes between nForce3 and nForce4 chipsets---the hard drive throughput.Maybe that accounts for it?Anyway I would be very interested to see the results you get when you bench the Cav on that 3700+ system you built. If you get a chance post the results here.Oh, and it would seem that cpu speed doesn't affect HD Tach, because your 4800+ is slightly (.2 ghz) faster cpu than mine, (at least theoretically) but yet the same hd on my rig had a higher bench.I say 4800+ is theoretically faster than 3700+ because I am not yet sure about the optimization we have in OS's for dual-core vs. single core. For example people often report worse performance with a dual-core than a single of the same ghz speed. But I digress...Anyway if you get a chance to bench the 3700+ with that hd that would be really interesting ta me. >>Kind of impressive performance out of a $70 HD don't ya>think...>Yes, but well, I paid $90 but that was in January, haha.RhettAMD 3700+, eVGA 7800GT 256, ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, etc. etc.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Chuck,My Single Drive (non RAID): WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0-0201C03HD Tach numbersBurst speed.....171.5 Mb/sec>Random access.....13.5 ms>CPU utilization.....2%>Average read.......55.6 Mb/secManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

OK.. I have the Raptors in RAID 0. But not using the primay RAID controler on my Asus MB. I couldn;t get that to work.. but it had a secondary controler called Ez-RAID which I used.Its Burst speed is seem be poor compared to what Chuck has reported.2 X 150 10K Raptor in RAID 0 (EZRAID)Burst speed: 160.3 :(Random Access: 8.1msCPU Utilization: 5%Avg read: 133.0 MB/SecI am also including the HDTach screen shot for the others1. Left top = Single 7200RPM 250G 16MB Drive2. Middle right = Single Raptor 10K 150MB3. Bottom left = 2 X 150G 10K Raptors in RAID 0 (EZ-RAID)Sorry Chuck. I know you wanted the 2 X 7200RPM RAID 0. My primary Intel Matrix RAID controller is giving me error for Win XP. Don't know if its work RMA's my MB, The thought of pulling out my CPU and Cooler is not appitizing at all.I got the Raptors in RAID 0 working.. but I am concerned about the Burst speed.Don't know how important that is. Manny

Manny

OK.. Now, I managed to install the Ratpro pair in RAID 0 on my Primary Intel Matrix Controller and WOW.. What a difference. And I also managed to setup my 7K 250GM 16MB Pair in RAID 0 using the EZ-RAID.In the ASUS P5W DH Deluze, there are three sets of RAID controllers. The Primary one is the Intel Matrix where each HD has its own controller I believe. The EZ-RAID has the a Single Controller for both the Disk.My previous posts and the jpg shows the Raptor pain in RAID 0.Here are my results.A) 2 X 150 10K RPM Raptor in RAID 0 (Intel Matrix Controller)Burst speed: 247.3Random Access: 8.6msCPU Utilization: 2%Avg read: 136.2 MB/Sec:( 2 X 250G 7200RPM WD in RAID 0 (EZ-RAID)Burst speed: 171.3 (this Burst speed may show a higher number but probably not as high as the 247.3 I got with the Raptors if I had this on the Primary Intel Matrix dual controller)Random Access: 13.2msCPU Utilization: 2%Avg read: 96.3 MB/SecAll right Chuck.. I know you wanted the 2 X 7200RPM RAID 0. So there you have it.Manny

Manny

Ok hehehe. :) So let's hear it: What's the bottom line in FS performance?Did you do before and after sim load times? Or load times with 2 7200 rpms vs. 2 10000 rpm'ers?I may have to get two 74 gig raptors and RAID0 them just for FS. FSX takes longer to load, it's back to 386 days...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett.No.. I am actually installing FS9 and trying to load the Addons for it... This is a project onto itself. :)I can't install FS9+addons of such two environement. I am sure you would understand. :)I am getting only 100FPS with default FS9. I was expecting 200FPS on my new gig. :)Manny

Manny