Sign in to follow this  

Anyone using Lago Twin Otter?

Anyone here using Lago's Twin Otter? I'm thinking of purchasing it, but was put off by early reviews pointing up a twitchy trim problem with the flight model. I know this has supposedly been addressed in a patch, but did it do the trick?-Basil

Still a bit twitchy but not as bad as the first issue was... it is not a bad plane at all adn great for bush flying :-) :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_052.htm]Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][br][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose4.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2][/td][tr][/table

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Humm, you probably didn't intend it that way, but your reply comes across as damning with faint praise. "Not a bad plane at all." I can get lots of those for free. When I pay for a plane, I want it not merely to be "not bad." I want it to be superlative.-Basil

hii bought it...and after a couple of weeks it came off..not really up to payware standard in my opinion.your right ,there are freeware just as good best wishes steve

Guest jason2112

I've bought LAGO's Twin Otter a few days ago, and my impression until now is similar to some expressed here before: it's nice, it's okay, but it's not great.I would like to go a bit more into detail:Outer model - good freeware standard, but nothing extraordinary. The outer textures are not very sharp, and the colors are dull. When I compare it to the PSS Dash 8, the Twotter is not even half as good. Okay, PSS charges for every single livery, but they are unbelievably crisp.Cockpit - 2D panel looks really good, and the virtual cockpit looks even better! The gauges are well done and the view outside makes it easy to land this plane. There are popup panels with all the important gauges, very nice for people for two or more monitors. BUT there are some serious flaws: First, with the yoke on display (default, press Shift+2 to hide), my framerate drops by more than 50%. When I hide it, the FPS are okay, no problem. Second, something causes the effect that when you press Alt to display the menu, there is a delay of several seconds before FS2002 reacts, in the meantime everything freezes. The plane's author states (if my memory serves me well), that this is because the panel uses so many ressources that FS2002 can hardly handle it. HUH? Okay, the VC is quite hires. But RealAir Simulation's SF260 or Dreamfleet's Cardinal have hires VCs as well, and I have never noticed even one second of delay with these planes. And there are no complex avionics that could justify the delay. There's something foul ...Sound - Maybe realistic, but sounds like a lawnmower to me. But that's really not fair, I have never heard a real Twin Otter before.Flight Dynamics - STOL capabilities are great! Big flaps and a beta propeller mode make landings on short gras strips a lot of fun. You need to play with the trim when lowering the flaps. Again no idea if that's realistic, but it's rather a challenge than a problem. Personally, I like the feeling of this plane.Summary - Mediocre outer model, good cockpit with some flaws, good flight dynamics. I guess a price of 15 EUR instead of 20 EUR would be more appropriate. One thing I would like to add: the people at LAGO are very nice, and very supportive. The initial release of the Twin Otter had several problems, but most of them seem to be fixed now. So if you have a fascination for the Twin Otter like I have, I can recommend buying it. But there are other planes out there that you should consider as well.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

It's excellent. Flies like a dream. The initial release was indeed oversensitive to trim, but that was cured and now it behaves properly.Far better than any freeware Twin Otter out there. Virtual cockpit is the first ever I think it on a par with 2D panels (shame you can't push the buttons, but that's a limitation of FS itself).

I really appreciate all the feedback. It will be very helpful in making up my mind. I'm not too concerned about the exterior model. If I get it, it will be because of the virtual cockpit, and because I've been convinced that the flight dynamics are okay.-Basil

>(shame you can't push the buttons, but that's a limitation >of FS itself). except wilco have found a way to over-come this, so it's not really an FS limitation.