Sign in to follow this  

Spoilers - please help !

If I make a left or right turn while flying, with ailerons animation I also see speedbrake deployng in the same side of the turn, and when I stop turning they come down....please does anyone say why???Thanks in advance,Dagghito

What are you flying? For instance, the Caravan has spoilers that assist the ailerons through turns. It makes the control pressures lighter & more responsive. Other aircraft might use all kinds of combinations.L.Adamson

Guest nutmeat

As I recall when flying commercial airlines, many of todays modern jet aircraft will use the spoilers to assist ailerons during the slower pases of flight, such as approaches. If you get an opportunity, watch the wings during an approach. I don't know if this is true for all of todays aircraft or if it is an option which is controllable from the flight deck. Any real world jockies care to comment???

What you are seeing could be what one author called spoilerons. On an advanced wing with many complex control surafces, there may not be room for the lower speed wider diameter section of the airelon closer to the fuselage. At enroute speeds the control surface area near the tips of the wing have more control. At slower speeds an accessory is required to effectively increase drag and drop the wing on the inner side of the turn for better maneuvering to maintain controlling sensitivity.

Thank you so much for your explaination, but I think there is something strange in my simulator...For example, can you notice that with the default 737, also on ground? I rember I never saw spoilers opening while turning, can it also depend on joystick settings?Thanks,Stefano

I am not familiar enough with that aircraft, but if most of the lift at high speeds is on the wing areas away from the fuselage, then they may deploy some spoiler anyway since they will have minimal effect. If that is the case, then they may also deploy on the ground in the sense it may be a full time coupling. Do you have seperate rudder pedals or are you using a coupled yoke for steering?

Most, if not all large business jets and commercial jets (including the 737) use the spoilers along with the ailerons for low speed flight, and even on the ground. If you watch the wings right after you pushback on an airplane the pilot will check the freedom of the controls and the spoilers will deploy along with the ailerons.-------------Michael

The 777 does the same thing in real life too.