Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

System for basic office users?

I've been putting together a very low-end system for my in-law's...I think I'm going with Dell.. Yeah yeah gimme crap about it lol, normally I'd build one, but I don't think I can do it as cheap (with OS, etc) as Dell can...They are going to use it for some internet browsing, some simple word processing and storing/viewing digital photos from their digi cam. No gaming, no powerhousing going on LOLI wanted some opinions on a few things...namely the OS and how much RAM/CPU, and if the intergrated gpu would be enough...I am fully aware of the C2D's, yes they are great, but when the people you are building it for work very very hard and have very little money you can't just slap in a C2D cpu...So, here's what I'm thinkingDell E521Vista Basic Edition (anyone know of any reason NOT to go with basic?)AMD 3500+1GB DDR2 667 mhz ram (I went for the 1GB instead of the 512, ok with vista basic???)GF 6150 integrated graphics... big question here...will this work OK with vista basic? (no aero glass etc), will it power a 17in LCD monitor ok? (analogue) Or will I have to go on newegg and get something faster? 7600? etc? Theres an option to upgrade to X1300 (radeon for 50 bucks or 100 bucks for the 256mb ram version)160GB sata hdd16x dvd/rw burner56k modem (they live in country, no high-speed)NO floppy (should I get one off newegg...like 8 bucks I think??)17in LCD Dell (or should I buy off newegg, any suggestions? Dell wants 200 bucks to get one of their basic 17in LCDs)As far as anti virus and anti spyware I was thinking of FREEWARE AVG/Adaware combo....I know not the best out there (would have gone with PC Cillin/Spysweeper for software maybe not sure yet)Total comes to about 700 USD....they've got free shipping for the time being as well... Main options are getting that OR-getting a lcd off newegg, looking at a few they appear to range from 150-180 with shipping for a 17in-getting only 512ram off dell and adding a 512 stick off newegg....dell wants 60 bucks for another 512 stick-getting a better video card from dell (like I said, only offer radeon x1300 or x1300pro)Any suggestions? I also checked HP and could not match the options for the same price (ie HP similar equipped was more $$$ than dell)Thanks much appreciated!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

bump...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>bump...All right all right :)I was going to say something the other day but I never did because there are some things you ask about, that I don't know (like best Anti-virus software). I can only comment on what I know which is not much...At my work I can and do order rigs for use as workstations. I don't have any problem ordering cookie-cutter systems for our workstations because ordered in bulk, it's inexpensive. Also for tech issues, it's nice to have the same consistent hardware setup in a lot of computers. Similar to your customers, most of our people won't know the diff between a Core2 and a 3000+, and the lower cpu runs our apps just fine.I like Dell, we have about 75% Dells here. They have been reliable--more so than some custom rigs a co-worker built, and he used Maxtor hard drives. (I've since replaced 3 of those Maxtor drives in the last year).1 gb of ram is wise. 512 is getting a little lean these days, even for a basic home system. For Vista I would go with 1 gig. Get a quality brand, but get their cheapest line, since they won't be overclocking they don't need that overhead.re: Vista versions, I am not all that familiar with them yet--but just make sure Vista Home Basic will have all of the features that your customers want.Video, I am not familiar with the 6xxx series integrated gfx you mention. Like you, I would be tempted to get a cheap 7600 card with 256 ram. That might be a wise decision too, but if it breaks their budget then no.Floppy drive...I'd ask them if they have any floppies. Some people keep stuff on those for years. At home, my FS rig does not have a floppy drive, and I have not missed it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks Rhett...I think I'll stick with the onboard video but go with Dell for the monitor, just to keep everything "Dell-ish"

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |