Sign in to follow this  
SlowFlyer

Any thoughts on this item: iWear VR920?

Hi,I just wanted to comment on the banner I noticed up above, for this product: iWear VR920. http://flyvr920,com/. It looks very interesting.I just wish the resolution was higher than 640 X 480, and it had 6 DOF instead of only 3 DOF.I think this could be the product of the year (decade) if the resolution was at least 1024 X 768 and it incorporated 6 DOF. I would be willing to pay twice the suggested price if it had a higher resolution.

10850K, MSI Unify Z490, 32gb G.Skill Ripjaw 3600 CL16, MSI 5700 XT 8gb, Nochua NH-U12a, WD 500gb Black SSD (OS- Windows 10 Pro), Samsung 2tb Evo plus SSD (games), Superflower 850 watts power supply

Guest jahman

I would be willing to pay 4x the price, iff in addition to 2x res it also had 6 DOF!Then add one of these motion bases http://www.cimflightdecks.com/motion_base/ (No programming, just plugs in via USB!) and youre simpit is all set...2 DOF chair starts at $10K:-)

Guest BOPrey

It will be a big dissaster by using a HMD with integraded head tracking on a motion platform. In FS, head movement is relative to the cockpit, not the ground. Also, you need at least 3 DOF to get any good feel of flight.

I tried these out at the Avsim conference last week and was impressed with the POTENTIAL of this type of device.I wear glasses with different presrcriptions in each lens, yet the Vuzix gizmos worked perfectly when placed over my regular progressive tri-focals. Well done.The image only covers about 32 degrees FOV, but because it automaticaly tracks your head movement you don't mind the reduced FOV. The limited FOV and resolution is a price/performance compromise necessary for commercial retail user products. I recall the guy pitching from Vuzix saying their military tactical goggles with larger FOV are something like $5k per set.The VR920 is all analog with a hefty driver for calibration and converting the motion sensors info into FS usable signals. There is a significant lag between head motion (not matter how smoothly applied) and the corresponding slewing of the view in the goggles. It is sort of slow and frustrating like running FSX can often be. The Vuzix guy said the digital model of the VR920 is much faster, too bad they were not on sale yet.The demos were using an older nVidia card and special stereoscopic driver that has not been updated for several years; it only supports 640x480 VGA or remapping of 1024x768 downto 640x480. The stero image looks very good and make some tasks like the last few feet coming down in a FS helicopter much, much easier. The downside is it cannot use higher resolution or any other brand of cards (ATI, etc.) and still get the stereo vision effect. The resolution of 640x480 when presented less than an inch from your eye looks far sharper and more detailed than when viewed on a LCT or CTR at 10-20", but more resolution (for details sake) would make this gizmo fabulous. Also, the built-in sound is just adequate and lacks low-end punch.Final thoughts: amazing and immersive, and a great way to the do the full VR cockpit thing. Great for portable laptop use. Just wait for a little more FOV and better stereo support for newer video cards.Todd