Sign in to follow this  
Guest JackDanielsDrinker

UltimateDefrag 2008 is coming

weeeewt!That's what I use...lol...when I run it hehe, speaking of defraggin, man I should do that...what I do (and I may be doing this wrong), isSet up the files so that 80% of my FSX/scenery folder is high performance, and 20% archive the restThen I run it with "respect high performance" so the defragger essentially moves the high performance files to the outer platters of the HDD, for faster access etc etchttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186439.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/186440.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Nick,The proof of the pudding and all that... I ran some FSX load timings before and after installing the 7-day trial version of UltimateDefrag. For me these numbers are the only consideration as to whether it's worthwhile buying this software.Prior to installing it I ran Diskeeper to defrag my E drive. This is a 320Gb partition on a 500Gb Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm and is the location of FSX. The remaining disk space is allocated to FS9 (F drive). The E partition is on the outer section of the drive.I used the 2nd tutorial from the suppliers which conveniently shows how to optimise FS.Because I have the menu screen displayed I ran two timings - Appearance of Splash Screen to appearance of Menu and pressing Start Flight to the point where the sim appears fully loaded. Here are the times...BEFORESS to Menu 30secsMenu to loaded 55secs.AFTERSS to Menu 14secsMenu to loaded 48secsFurther loads reduced SS to Menu time to 9secs and Menu to loaded time to 38secs but those were probably because of caching.So my overall load time has reduced from 85secs to 62secs. An improvement of 27%.Considering Diskeeper is meant to have defragged all files the improvement appears to come from moving them to the start of the drive and placing them in contiguous order. UDF certainly has more features than Diskeeper which appears little more versatile than the stripped down version that ships with XP.I'm still disappointed that I appear to require a licence per PC irrespective of the number of drives in it so I may restrict its use to my FS machine.All in all it's quite a impressive piece of software. Hopefully the benefits of having all the FSX files in a concentrated area will improve overall fluidity when flying.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Greg,I've just taken the plunge and bought the current version. From my benchmarking earlier it clearly improves file loading in FSX. I'm running the same defrag routine on my FS9 install but it's taking ages so I may postpone it until tonight and run it overnight.Thanks for your help on this. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather