Sign in to follow this  
RGS

FSX Hard crash problems...

Hi guys,Wondering if anyone here can help me...Basically I'm getting a hard crash (comp switches off as if I'd taken the plug out of the socket...) EVERYTIME I use FSX. Can't think of anything in particular I've done recently to upset it (although did update MB Bios about a week before I had the probs), but it's been this way now for about 3 weeks (did it once in Gears of War recently also, but generally other demanding games seem ok). Updated all drivers, tried many different graphics settings + resolutions. It mostly crashes in game, but has also crashed hard in the menus (i.e. the front end, aircraft select screen etc - before I've even been into the game once!) + loading also. Crashes can occur from 2 mins in upto about an hour. 15 mins seems about the average...It's really driving me nuts. Have tried to monitor gfx card temps, but none of the nVidia monitors work on my system, might be a Vista x64 thing, but they just crash...Any help really appreciated, very, VERY annoying...Specs are:Vista Ult x64 (up to date)Dx10Quad Extreme QX67004GB Dominator RAM88000 GTXnVidia 680i MDXFi Sound CardApple 30" Cinema display @ 2560x1600HOTAS Cougar + Sim Peds(All components are at their stock settings, nothing OC'd or has ever been).Cheers in advance,Robert

The first thing comes to mind is the voltage being applied to the RAM. Do you know what it's set at? It may need just a little bit more. And you may need to relax the memory timings as well until you can get it stable.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Pilot533

Sounds like the old nvidia menu crash to me, nvidia drivers dont always play nice with fsx, ati is the way to go for this hobby.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't know much at all about Voltages etc, but here's what I got from the bios:Memory timing setting: Optimal555Memory Clock Mode: AutoFSB Memory Ratio: AutoFSB (QDR): Auto 1066.7Mem (DDR) Auto 800All voltages below are set to auto:CPU Core: 1.29CPU FSB: 1.2Memory: 1.85nForce SPP: 1.25nForce MCP: 1.500HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.20Hope this means something to you 'cos it doesn't mean much to me ;) Let me know if you need any more info.nVidia menu crash... Hmmm, not heard about it, will take a look, but as stated above it's not just in the menus, in fact only crashed once from there.Thanks again,Robert

Hi Robert,I suspect you aren't giving the memory enough voltage which is causing the crash. If you didn't get any documentation with the memory, check Corsair's website. You're memory should be able to withstand 2.1v easily, and probably needs 2.2v. Try 2.1v and test the system. There's usually a setting in the BIOS to adjust it.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Pilot533

Yeah increase that ram voltage, 2.1 should be fine though, it really shouldnt need any more than that for those speeds. Theres a good chance this has something to do with nvidia, I have alawys been an nvidia user but I have been going insane trying to stop crashes, as you can see im an ati user now, havent had a crash yet (knock on wood), lets hope it stays that way because I havent taken many flights yet.

Hi guys,Tried changing the memory voltage. No joy.Checked my settings against what I had before updating the bios (previously memory voltage was set to 2.2) and re set EVERYTHING as it was before. Still not joy. It's hard crashing all the time now. Mostly within 5 minutes, sometimes on loading.Have not used the sim for past couple of weeks so I don't think the changes I've made are having any impact whatsoever, i.e. I don't believe that changing the settings has made it crash quicker, just bad luck on the last few attempts...Really frustrated now. Just don't know what's going wrong with it. Don't appear to be having problems with other high end games (well I don't think so, possible once or twice - very rare) such as BioShock for e.g.Any other suggestions? Really very confused now.Cheers,Robert

UPDATE: This is now also happening in other games, seemingly at random times, i.e. frame rates are good and the system doesn't appear to be under any major stress.I don't believe it's overheating as I tried it with the side panel off the case, same thing. It seemed pretty cool inside + I have a large aluminium case (Silverstone TJ07) with lots of fans all at 100%.Any more suggestions of things I can try in an attempt to narrow down the problem very much appreciated.Thanks again for the help.Robert

Robert,I think the first thing you need to do is to rule out memory issues. Download memetes86 (cd or floppy version) and make yourself a bootable disk. Boot off of your CD or Floppy (which ever you decided to make) and let metest86 run at a minimum one complete pass on your memory. If you are crashing as frequently as you describe and its memory related you are going to see errors during the first pass on your memory. You can download the app here:http://www.memtest86.com/

Thanks Sargeski,I will try that later today. Downloaded already, however I think I may have found the root of the problem - though no idea why!I think it IS the CPU overheating as tried running a program called 'Core Temp 0.97.' It's reporting my cores are ranging at idle (typing this for e.g.) as 87*c, 83*C, 74*C, 73*C. When under stress and even when switched on from cold (idle in Windows) it can go to 125*C. And right now that's with the side of the case off too! Checked this with Speed Fan also + confirmed when checking System Monitor in the Bios on boot.From the limited research I've done so far this seems pretty bad.So it's now crashing in Windows also. Yesterday I was able to do 2D work the whole day without any issues, but after a system restart it just did it again, that's when I started monitoring the CPU temps...I've checked inside the case all fans are on, doesn't seem particularly hot... FYI I'm using a ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED cooler for the CPU. As stated before nothing's OC'd or ever has been.Any help much appreciated.Robert

Guest D17S

You're right. That's way too hot for idle. Those Qs will auto-shut down at 100C. It's a built-in protection feature. It will never go to 125C. If you are seeing 125C, something in the measurement software is buggy. Pop up task manager and make sure the cores are Not pegged by some lurker program running in the background. Pull the CPU cooler off and re-seat with some fresh thermal paste (or take it to BB and have them charge you $$$). If nothing else, reinstall the stock CPU cooler. That stock heat sink is plenty for non-O/Ced CPUs. Make sure the CPU fan is running.

Thanks Sam,Not sure I'm really comfortable with removing the CPU cooler etc, as to be honest (simple as it may be) I have no idea what I'm doing. When I bring up task manager what should I be looking for?Cheers,Robert(will be giving the PC manufacturer - SCAN, a call later as luckily I extended the warranty to 3 years).