Sign in to follow this  
Guest GamePlayer

Just defragged and FSX taking longer to load than usual

Guest GamePlayer

I tried out the trial versions of OO Defrag 10 and Ultimate Defrag 2008 and defragged my FSX partion by Name. After using OO Defrag I tested FSX loading out and it took longer to load. Then I tried defragging my FSX partition with Ultimate Defrag 2008 using the Name option as well and put my Megascenery folder before my FSX folder. After defragging using that program I still got the longer than usual load times. When the progress bar hits 6% it stays there for around 30 seconds, my hard drive starts making steady ticking sound while at 6%, then slowly goes up with a few more stops. Am I doing something wrong in these defragment programs. I read that defragging by Name was the best method for defragging for FSX. Also I still get blurry texture problems flying over the San Fernando Valley in MegaSceneryX SC and the strange thing is that when I switch to side view, the textures are crip for about a second and then they blur for around 5 seconds and then get crips again. I'm using a WD 150GB Raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive and have 4GB RAM. Here's how I have my hard drive set up partition wise:1st partition - Windows Vista OS2nd partition - FSX and FSX Addons3rd partition - Games4th partition - Data

Defrag your drive using the last access method. The first time takes a bit of time but eventually it speeds up to defrag using this method if your using FSX alot.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest GamePlayer

I just defragged my drive using the Last Access method in Ultimate Defrag. I still feel like it's loading at the same speed with still that long wait at 6%. I haven't actually timed the loading but it feels the same as when it was defragged by Name. Also my hard drive sounds like installing something from a 3.5" floppy disk but with a faster tempo like half the time it's loading. The airport I'm loading is LAX.

What kind of drive is it?? But post a reply in the hardware discussion forum instead of here.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

GamePlayerDo you have this line under [MAIN]: "DisablePreload=1"?While that may speed up FSX loading (debatable) it does cause FSX to pause at 6% loading. Putting in // before it will disable it so that you can try a load with or without it.Peter Hayes

Guest D17S

Before the more modern defraggers were available, I used O&O to optimize a single drive. I installed all my Megascenery into a folder named AAA111. That got it to the top of the directory tree. O&O's 'Name' selection then reordered my directories by name, placing AAA111 first. It worked fine. Back then, O&O's 'Name' function reordered directories alphabetically by their Names. I wasn't able to select specific, individual directories like I can now with (for instance) Ultimate Defrag.To get a defrag program to 'target shoot' directories to the physical outer edge of a disk (which is the whole point), a defragger would need to 'see' within individual partitions, then select individual directories within those partitions to optimize to the outer edge of the drive. A little defraggin' might occur along the way, but the Main job is to Physically Move the date within those directories to the outer edge of the harddrive. So, can O&O recognize individual partitions within a single defragging session? Then, does it allow you to select individual directories within those partitions for placement to the outer edge, regardless of their 'name'? My concern is that the name "Name" in no way describes this process.If O&O's 'Name' function does Not provide all of these capabilities, I imagine it might be difficult to tell just what the defragger is going to do in a multi-partition environment. In other words, YMMV (big time!)

Guest GamePlayer

I'm on a trail version of O&O and it doesn't allow you to select individual directories for defragging. You would have to change the names of your directories that you want to reorder on the hard drive to alphabetical order.

Guest D17S

Still though, the directories are on separate partitions. The directory structures will be subordinate to their partitions. You must be able to select a partition first, then a directory within that partition. Will O&O allow that . . . at any price? As it is now, it appears a "Name" run is going to provide more of a directory randomization function with a multi-partition drive. Your drive is now nicely defragged, but the directories have now been throughly shuffled onto random physical disk locations. Really though, we don't know What it did! Your load-time slow down result seems entirely possible under this circumstance.