Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

8800GTX problems in FSX - software or hardware?

Hi Rhett,I'm a lot happier now than 6 hours ago! I've installed the WHQL 169.21 drivers and after 2 hours FSX is still chugging along nicely. Looks like it was the beta drivers and maybe nHancer too but I'm in no hurry to reinstall nHancer.Thanks for your suggestions and that long flight. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi JIMJAM,I'm with 169.21 WHQL now and they're looking good. 2 hours into a flight and still okay.I've found that with nVidia you need to be in full-screen mode for AA although AF is okay with Windowed. ASX is running on my laptop and isn't responsible for any of the problems. I'm sure of that. I set AA/AF via nVidia Control Panel. It's less daunting than nHancer.I agree it would help us if there was a bit more competition but PCs are becoming increasingly complex and it's hard to break into a duopoly.Enjoy your games on the PS3. Thanks for all your help. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, I am currently using the WHQL 175.16 drivers. I have experienced random lockups and random fatal errors of the dll variety within FSX. I downloaded a video card stability application from http://freestone-group.com/video-card-stability-test/ and found that when running the stability test with AA set to 8xs my computer ALWAYS locked up during the test. I found that by changing my AA to 16x the stability test will run as long as I wish to run it (no hard lockups) and that FSX is now totally stable.If you are still having issues I would recommended you try changing your AA 16x or 8x. My guess is that memory is managed somewhat differently when using 8xs AA.

Guest JIMJAM

No matter what I have tried, the taxiway/runways are still wavy.I add Nhancer pos bias to keep the trees from shimmering.Neg is locked It adds some blur but looks better than that too sharp look and the shimmering that comes along.However, it does seem to effect the text like ATC.I have not locked up in a while so I am going to leave good enough alone.But I also know human nature and I am sure I will find a way to screw it up. The weekend is here, I bought a new plane, the AEROSOFT 30s Hughes H1-b Special, so I am RIPE for something to go wrong.

Guest JIMJAM

First off, Nvidia changes drivers every month and a new card every 3.Second, I am not going to reformat and should not have too.I reformatted alright, When my 2 month old Raptor HD DIED and I lost everything.I agree that you must know how to install and reinstall drivers but a total format is insane.As soon as you go online,reload your needed programs,games,addons ect, you no longer have a CLEAN OS.Sure, if you load the OS and run FSX and NOTHING else. Keep the cable unplugged but thats not real life.I along with hundreds if not thousands had problems running Gears Of War and we were all told to, reformat the HD and reinstall the game.Dont Stink so.

Hi Sargeski,That's very interesting. I was running with 8xS AA. Since removing nHancer that option is no longer available to me in nVidia Control Panel. Instead I'm using another setting which escapes me as I'm downstairs. I think it's 4XQ or 8XQ.I had a fly earlier this evening from London Gatwick to Paris and it was absolutely fine. Clean as a whistle. I firmly believe those beta drivers were responsible. For now I'll stay with the 169 WHQL drivers because there seems no hard reason to change from them.When you increased AA to 16X was it via nHancer or nVidia Control Panel and did it have much impact on your frame rates? I'm reluctant to install nHancer as I currently have a stable PC. I will give that stability test a try - thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

<

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest djt01

>First off, Nvidia changes drivers every month and a new card>every 3.>Second, I am not going to reformat and should not have too.>I reformatted alright, When my 2 month old Raptor HD DIED and>I lost everything.>I agree that you must know how to install and reinstall>drivers but a total format is insane.>As soon as you go online,reload your needed>programs,games,addons ect, you no longer have a CLEAN OS.>Sure, if you load the OS and run FSX and NOTHING else. Keep>the cable unplugged but thats not real life.>I along with hundreds if not thousands had problems running>Gears Of War and we were all told to, reformat the HD and>reinstall the game.>Dont Stink so.>Been there, done that.Yes, gaming on that

Guest djt01

>I now have a stable FSX after installing the 169.21 drivers.>It's likely the 174.74 beta drivers were responsible maybe in>conjuction with the AA setting.I

<

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest djt01

>But unless the AA was set using nHancer to 8XS you may not get>the problem. Before I installed nHancer the system was fine>with the supplied CD drivers. It only became unstable after>changing drivers and installing nHancer.>>Now that I'm running WHQL drivers and no nHancer the stability>has returned. This is with XP/DX9 so I haven't seen the menu>problem.Ray,No your right, I

>When you increased AA to 16X was it via nHancer or nVidia>Control Panel and did it have much impact on your frame rates?>I'm reluctant to install nHancer as I currently have a stable>PC. I will give that stability test a try - thanks. Good Evening Ray!,Yes, I am still using nHancer to set the AA to 16x. Performance in FSX is identical to 8xs however, I perceive slightly more shimmer with 16x over 8xs...........the trade off of no random crashes is well worth the little shimmer.

Guest JIMJAM

I tried plain vanilla drivers, Nhancer,16x.....This is what I see.On the ground, I can bump up the aa/af as high as I want and the picture looks great.But as soon as I move the hat button to look around, any straight lines, runway,taxiway,tarmac lines ect, start to wave.In flight its more noticable since I am moving.Without Nhancer, I get NO aa/af.I tried the profile,let FSX decide ect.I know there are almost countless settings and configs but I think I have covered them all.All I can really try now is to replace my Asus Mob and AMD proc and go Intel all around.That still does not eliminate the main culprit and common denominator. Nvidia

Guest djt01

>This is what I see.>On the ground, I can bump up the aa/af as high as I want and>the picture looks great.>But as soon as I move the hat button to look around, any>straight lines, runway,taxiway,tarmac lines ect, start to>wave.>In flight its more noticable since I am moving.>That still does not eliminate the main culprit and common>denominator. NvidiaIt almost sounds like you