Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Would you use the new NVIDIA 175.16 on a 6600GT

I have a PALIT NVIDIA 6600GT AGP 256M DDR3 videocard. I use the 84.21 drivers for it. Reason for this is that when I tried the 94.XX driver I got problem in FS9. I had no planes in preview windows in fullscreen mode and the 84.21 solved that. Also I was told that the newer drivers was only good for later cards 7 8 9 series.But lately I have experienced occasional crashes were the video drivers are reported as faulty. In addition to that I see it stated explicitely that 6600GT is supported by the latest driver and that these improves performence in DX9.Does anybody use the latest drivers on a 6600GT?When I got to NVIDIAS website and try outAutomatically find drivers for my NVIDIA productsThey report 84.21 as the latest driver. Why if the latest driver supports 6600GT?

Guest ziporama

While the installer for some Nvidia drivers are "limited" to some specific models, there are some modified installers (read, inf files) that allow the latest drivers to be installed with the older cards. It often seems the latest drivers typically support the latest and greatest card of the week, but in practice, what "official drivers" support cards often has more to do with what marketing wants rather than actual hardware support.Check some 3D driver sites for these files such as http://www.guru3d.com/ if you cannot find a recent official driver for your card.This said, the chip you are using does have a lot to do with what the driver can and cannot do, so you will find older cards may or may not work. Hope this helps,Etienne