I am looking at getting a new system to run FSX. My wife is allowing me $1500,maybe $2000. All I need is the CPU. My keyboard,mouse and yoke are all set. Are there any builders I should look at? Thanks for any help with this. I just started reading up on the new chips and video cards and it is making my head spin!Greg

I too am building a new system and I am now buying all the items that I know I will need for sure with the exception of the MOBO, GPU, and CPU. I have decided to wait for Nehalem to finish it and maybe by then MS will have Vista worked out.

Jim Wenham

Yeah, Ive read that too but I still havent decided which way I will go with the OS. If I were to buy it today I would prob go with XP.

Jim Wenham

Guest D17S

Your budget will not allow the purchase from a top tier mfg (Falcon Northwest, etc). Try to find the basic newegg list of component types in a Dell or something. The pieces will not be as good a quality, but you'll have a 1 year warranty. However you will not be able to overclock the CPU. For instance, Intel makes a QX9770 running at 3.2 Ghz for $1500 (CPU alone). The $200 Q6600 suggested will go to 3.6Ghz if you were willing to build it yourself. Not only is store-bought 7X the cost, it will provide significantly Less performance. That $1500 CPU will cause FSX to provide a significant performance DecReAe vs the (overclocked) $200 CPU. That's why we build our own. Same deal with ram, Vcards, mobos, power supplies and the rest.

Guest sweetkaos

Hi guys what do you think about this system I am hoping to buy tomorrow, and hopefully overclock it to 3.2-3.4 ghzAny comments on the MOBO or other stuff? -INTEL Q9450 C2 QUAD 2.66G 12MB 1333MHZ (BX80569Q9450) -ASUS P5K WS, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, PCI-X, ATX, 2xGbLAN, Firewire, PCI-Ex16 (P5K WS) -COOLERMASTER Cosmos Silver m/850w PSU, 2x12cm Fans, Aluminum (RC 1000-KSP2-GP) -SAMSUNG SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM (HD501LJ) -CLUB 3D GeForce PCI-E 8800GTS 512MB 2x DVI (CGNX-GTS882DD) -CORSAIR Dominator TWIN2X8500C5DF 4096MB, DDR2, 2x2GB(KIT), DHX, E.P.P, with FAN (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF) -SAMSUNG DVD Recorder 20x +R/+RW -R/-RW IDE DVD-RAM Black/ White Retail Nero Software (SH-S202J/RSMN) the screen I think I will get it later.

Guest D17S

The Q9450 has an 8 multiplier. Remember, your O/C will be the FSB x 8. That means the O/C will be FSB limited. For instance, 400Mhz is safe 24/7 FSB setting. With an 8 multi, that gets a 3.2Ghz CPU speed. A higher multiplier will get faster CPU speed at the same FSB. The Q6600 has a 9 multiplier. So a 400Mhz FSB gets the CPU to 3.6GHz. The Q9450 is ~ $340 and the Q6600 is ~ $200. A buyer (therefore) spends $150 to LooSe 400Mhz of CPU speed. There's No clock for clock advantage with the Penryn (Q9xxx) over the Qxxx, so that's a Bad Buy. Go for a Q6600.You might consider this mobo instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E168131311962 Vcard slots and built-in Wifi for 20 bucks less.Try this memory. You definitely want 4Gs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220227 Twice the ram, half the price. Budget in a CPU cooler. Anything above 3.0Ghz, and ya gotta have it:http://www.tankguys.biz/product_info.php?products_id=1735

What OS are you going to run with? XP or Vista?

Jim Wenham

I found this online. Any good?CyberpowerPC Model Gamer Infinity 9310 Recommended Usage Gaming Form Factor Tower Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600(2.4GHz) Processor Main Features 64 bit Quad-Core Processor Cache Per Processor 8MB L2 Cache Memory 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 Hard Drive 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD Optical Drive 1 20X DVD

Guest sweetkaos

Thanks guys for your quick responces.The q9450 is barely 100 Dollars more expensive. Have read several benchmarks that still put the q9450 over the q6600, even at different clock speeds. And the q9450 consumes les electricity.I am hoping to install windows Xp in the beggining an later Vista, if i get any good recommendations.The memory modules i am limited to what is available in Norway, that is really not much. So i think the ones i got are the best i can get here. the one mentioned is not available here.My idea is not to do much over clocking than around 3.2 ghz. But i will try to find some different heat sinks. Although the Box has two fans included, do i really need extra heatsinks to overclock o 3.2?Still thanks for the advice on the motherboard, seems a lot of people buy the one you guys recommend contrary to this one, which the cleck at the store recommended for overclocking.What kind of resolution can i expect with a 28 inch monitor with this configuration?should i go with winxp or vista? i still want to use this for video editing and some work related tasks.

Guest D17S

The clock for clock benefit is only available on a very few, specific benchmarks. It is irrelevant to real world uses. Sadly, gaming / websurfing and email find No benefit at all. The power conservation comes entirely from from lower voltage requirements. However O/Cing Will require the user to increase the CPU voltage. At 3.2 Ghz, the Q6 might need 1.25 where the Q9 might only need 1.20v. That's only five one-hundredth of a volt. I'll let you figure out how long it would take to payback a $100 "investment" in powers savings with five one-hundredth of a volt.Go with Vista 64 right now. We are still getting out of memory crashes with the 32 bit systems. Physical ram is Not the factor. It's the 32bit op system. All these (quality) P35 mobo will go to 400Mhz. The Nvidia board 780i just does it too . . . not "better." Their memory controller is a super-tweaked mess. This is Nvidia's first run at mobo level chip sets and they are still in a learning curve. They have a rep for being the "Rebel's Choice," mainly because they are not Intel. Stay with Intel this time until the Rebel get's his gig a bit more on-track.The 8800GT is the card to buy at the moment. It'll do whatever resolution you want for the right price.