Sign in to follow this  
remind

Video card errors Vista Sp1 and FSX

Hi Jim,I read up on it and check it out.As for drivers, hmm, after installing FSX and sp2 running DX10 preview mode on my newer XPS laptop, with almost same settings including AI traffic etc, I get 2x if not 3x frame rates and performance is great, compated to my XPS 710 DesktopYet Laptop only has a Duel core cpu, although it is one of the newer 45nm versions, 4gb ram, Nvidia 8600 video card, Vista Sp1I am now wondering if video card itself is the problem.Approx 2 months ago, my XPS 710 Dell desktop had to have it's cpu cooling fan and MB replaced, all Dell tech said was a switch on MB was faulty and was casuhing the fan to run a high RPM'sAnyone who has an XPS desktop of around this model, will know when you first turn them on, that make a high fan noise and then calms down, well 2 months ago it did calm down, I am now worried that the Video card might of been damaged.When I get some more free time, I am going to install on laptop the same add on scenery and afct, have the settings for everything the same and do a check aganist desktop. To double check my statment above.I know these newer cpus are supposed to be quite good, but to give me 2 to 3 x the performance? What do others think about that?ThanksPhil

Guest firehawk44

Phil,I had the XPS 710 system until Dell offered me the upgrade to the 720H2C. I upgraded and still have all the same hardware/CPU but a newer MB, the 680i SLI vs the 590i in the 710. I have two 8800 GTX's running in SLI config. I got this rig a little after FSX showed up and didn't know FSX was CPU intensive vs GPU. Previous editions had it as GPU intensive so that's why I got TWO (boy was I ever smart... lol). One of the 8800's crashed within 6 months of purchase and Dell replaced it. I don't recall anything showing up on my system that one of my video cards had crashed. I think I accidentally discovered it wasn't working. It gets hot in that case and I was worried to death everything would burn up but I read these new systems can take a lot of heat. The Nvidia GPU's have their own fans and work independently of other system fans. If a fan stops, your system should notify you immediately so you can check out the problem and get it fixed. Even so, it would have to be everything stopping for a long period of time. I rarely hear the fans in my system. It's very quiet even though I have it overclocked via the bios to 3.73GHz. If your video card was damaged via high heat, I doubt it would not be working for programs other than FSX. If the device manager in Vista/XP indicates the GPU is working properly, I wouldn't worry about it. Dell has a diagnostic program which you should run as soon as you feel there's a problem. Newer CPU's will definitely give you better performance in FSX, especially if they can be overclocked. I don't think there's a system out there yet that can run FSX with sliders turned to the max. You're still going to have to turn down or turn off some things. Maybe in 2010, when FS11 is expected a computer system will be able to run FSX with all sliders to the right and all eye-candy turned on. Maybe...Best regards,Jim

Hi JimYes I like you doubt video card got over heated, In fact with CPU fan running so fast it would of made it less likely.The Dell technican did check everything and your right, other programs would not be working.I've not found that post yet, but I didn't search with Bill's name, so I'll try that.Oh, since you had a XPS 710, I am correct their MB cannot take Express PCI 2 cards?Such as Nvidia latest 9000 series9800 GX2 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDMIOr what Dell has in their latest XPS systemsChoice of Duel or single 9800 GT, 512mbI wonder which one those are, as on Nvidia's site, there is no 9800 GT, GTX, GT2 etc, but no just GTAlso I like the fact that the GX2 has HDMI output, Anyway on a moire interesting point, in my biois settings of the XPS710, under PCI cards, it has VGA listed in slot 4 and then a unkown device in slot 5I have the AGeia Physic card installed, could that be what the Bios cannot reconginise?Thanks in advancePhil

Guest firehawk44

"Oh, since you had a XPS 710, I am correct their MB cannot take Express PCI 2 cards? Such as Nvidia latest 9000 series"It has two slots for PCI Express cards. I had both of my 8800's installed. But I had the XPS 710H2C and the specs may have been different from the XPS 710. The motherboard on the XPS 710 is a modified Nvidia 590i BTX form factor. So you will want to check to see if the new 9000 series cards work on 590i boards (according to this link, you must have the Vista OS, otherwise it's okay: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/679/1/). The 590i board is almost exactly like the 680i board. The only difference is that the 680i can handle more later CPU's, but not the latest."Or what Dell has in their latest XPS systems. Choice of Duel or single 9800 GT, 512mb. I wonder which one those are, as on Nvidia's site, there is no 9800 GT, GTX, GT2 etc, but no just GT."The 9800GT was just released: http://www.guru3d.com/news/nvidia-launches-geforce-9800-gt/I just reinstalled my Ageia Physics Card and Vista wouldn't recognize it. It wouldn't even show up as an unknown device. I removed it. It doesn't make FSX run any faster and I'm very upset, but it was a bad investment.If you have any problem finding the excellent article regarding OOM's by Bill Leaming on the FSX Forum, let me know. I used OOM as the keyword and had no problem finding it.Best regards,Jim

Hi JIm,Thanks for info and links,I'll give the a read at the weekend.(the link to the review appears dead)http://www.legitreviews.com/article/679/1Interesting Dell has the just realsed GT, hmm, Dell Australia a month or two back, um, been so busy with work , I think it was two months ago, time goes so fast when your busyThey only had XPS systems with the ATI Radon latest card, I did ask my sales rep and she checked then, they were not sure if they would offer the 9000 series, but I think if what I read a few eeeks ago, Nvidia dropped their prices to match Ati Radon cards.And I guess that explains why DEll now has them, but I guess it could also depend on whom they get the best deals from, it's like them sometimes offerring Nortons or Mc Afee seems to chaange every few months.CheersPhil