Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Boeing767-300ER

would this computer be good enough?

i havent purchased the new fsx because my current computer is not good enough to handle it. now i am thinking of getting into fs again and getting fsx. and i was thinking of purchasing an alienware area 51 and was just wondering if it would be good enough for fsx? intel core 2 extreme qx9650 3.0ghz 12mb cache 1333mhz fsbsingle 512mb geforce 9600 gt (looking for suggestions on the graphics card)4gb patriot ep+ low latency dual channel ddr3 sdram 1333mhznforce 790i ultra sli motherboardwindows vista250gb sata 3gb/s 7200 rpm 16mb cache harddrivethats the system i was thinking of. but im open to suggestions on any changes. and that setup would eun $3600 so if anyone knows of any place to get it cheaper that would be great.adam

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Adam,Here is the system, basically as you have outlined, with some additions I feel are necessary:GAMING PC, Core 2 DDR2 Gaming System $2831.36 INTEL, Core

I'm sure you know this, but you can build that yourself for half the money. Or have it built for 66% of the money.MB: I would get an Intel chipset motherboard over the nVidia790; I would look at the Intel P35 or the newer X38 or X48 chipset motherboards.GPU: The 9600GT is a middle-line card. The 9800GT/GTX is the higher-line card and in my opinion is better matched with the rest of the system. Why put a 9600GT with a QX9650 cpu? That's like drinking Kool-Aid with your caviar. Actually, I'd look at the 8800GTX cards (some can be found for CHEAP now, and they will roll with a 9600 any day of the week in FSX) or the newer GTX200 if you're really out for the top end.RAM: Regarding the memory sticks, I'd want that 4gb in two sticks...not four.RAM: Ensure that you buy memory that is on the compatability list for your motherboard (motherboard makers web sites generally list these).CPU: The QX9650 costs a lot, and you can buy a cpu that will perform just as well in FSX for half the price. Like a Q9450 (overclocked) or E8500 (stock speed).Sure the Alienware rig you have picked out will run FSX pretty well, once you strip out all of the pre-loaded bloat on it, and tweak it for FSX. But for the price I don't think that's the way to go.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

yeah, i figured i could build it myself for less. but i really dont know how to build my own computer. i used to stay followed up with all the latest computer stuff but then i started college 2 years ago and now im wanting to get back into fs and im way behind. the reason i want to get back in is mostly because i miss flight sim but also to help out in my flight training at school. im willing to spend 3500 but would love to spend less. so thanks for the recommendations guys, ill check them outadam

Adam,If you drop the quad and go with the E84/8500, you'll knock $1000 off the price. Quads are nice but, hardly a necessity for FS. For my money, the benefits don't justify the expense. If you're doing things like video editing then the quad makes sense. Just something to think about. For what it's worth, I spent a solid 6 mos on research before I had my system built. Comparing all the specifications of every component and learning how those specs relate to system performance is time consuming, but worth it in the end. Regards,Jeff

My good freind owns a computer store and before I dropped that kind of cash, I would check locally.Go to Newegg and get an idea of what everything goes for.Go in and discuss the build,pricing,warranty ect.Also,most do not need an entire new system.In my case, I would rob my x-fi sound card,vid card,cd/dvd,keyboard,mouse ect ect to go into the "new " machine.On average you will save 1/2,especially off Alienware which IMO are overrated.I do not care who what name is on the side, its still a bunch of parts. 2ND, when something goes wrong, you can have it looked at quickly by the guys who built it as opposed to talking to a tech guy.That alone is worth it to me.Just some freindly advice.