Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

CPU cooler & Installation

Guest sunbear

I need a Cpu cooler...I think....because FS9 keeps crashing back to my opening computer page. I was wandering if anybody knows of a good & EASY cooler to install. I don't have that much experience other than putting in memory cards etc. Should I get a cooler with a fan and if so, where do you hook up the fan to get power to it? Also, I assume the cooler goes on top of the E6600 conroe processor. I'm running my 2.4g at 3.1g overclocked on a P5B-E Asus motherboard with P2-800 memory P2-6400 4 gig's total.Regards,jack

Guest B52Drivr

Jack,Go to the web and look at the hardware guys for coolers. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ctCode=10008847You can also try Geeks.com, and a few others. The Zahlman cooler works very well, just follow instructions. If the cooler doesn't come with thermal paste, you need also to get a small tube of that. It's not difficult, just take your time.Best,Clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Hello:I just installed a Thermatake V1. Very easy and it runs quiet.RegardsRick

I have that cooler and have overclocked my E8500 up to 4.1ghz so far.On air. Amazing CPU.

You've posted that before -- that's a nice cooler, but wouldn't you want to add a fan to that?Personally, my life's been too calm lately so I'm actually thinking about ripping my computer apart a putting in a liquid cooler. For both the CPU and (especially) my 880GTX. I could cook a steak in my box with the heat that thing throws off. :-)I think I just went OT.

Guest D17S

Sorry, Thought the fan would be self-evident. A Scyth fan at 1300 RPM keeps things cool and quiet at idle and ramps to ~2000 RPM under load. I use the mobo's speedstep function and the Q6600 runs fine when it ramps to 3.6Ghz under load. My heat solution is to just leave the side off the box. I'm in there so much anyway . . .I just reached in to yank out that dumb GTX260 this AM and about burned my hand. It had simply been idling all night. It doesn't support Vista's sleep function and it just sits there and cooks. A summertime room heater is the last thing I need. It may be my imagination, but my electricity bill for this last month was suspiciously high. An 8800GT is in now and there's simply no difference in FS performance . . . but Crysis had to come down a notch (or 3!).