Sign in to follow this  
Guest simjunkie

Q9650 & chance at 4GHz vs Q6600 @ 3.6GHz

Guest Nick_N

To enable the Nvidia counterpart to LLC, I dont remember the process... you may want to Google the motherboard and the words Vdroop vcoreAs for a replacement board, for DDR2 you can not go wrong with the Asus Rampage Formula.. great board and it will run that proc flat out at 4050MHz if you have the right memory installed to do it.See clocking values with DDR2 1066 and that processor in this thread for the Rampage Formula:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1223693603It starts out discussing a Q6600 however I talked him into the 9650 proc and the thread discusses clocking it to 4050 with his memory product.

Guest daniellkeven

i have q 6600 with thermright 120 extreme and 8 gb ram 800 mhz with mobo asus p5q procan i overclock my cpu to 3.6 and make it stable?plz advise and tell me what to change on my bios settingthanx

Guest D17S

Easy as pie.Manually set: 1) your FSB to 4002) your ram to 8003) your PCI buss to 1003) CPU volts to 1.45v4) ram volts to 2.2vBoot n' run. Get a trial copy of Everest1) make sure the CPU volts are what you set in the bios 2) do not drop below ~ 1.4 during Everest's system stability test.3) Watch CPU temps. The 4 cores can run at or below 80C without any problem.You're now running side by side with one of those new fangled i7s 920 systems at its default speed. Enjoy the holiday vacation you just paid for!

>>Easy as pie.>Easier said than done. I have 2 friends running Q6600s on Asus SLI boards that simply cannot run 3GHz completely stable, let alone 3.6GHz. >>Manually set: >3) CPU volts to 1.45v>Generally one should try lower voltage values first and increase for stability. Setting the volts sky-high right off the bat can lead to CPU degradation.>>4) ram volts to 2.2v>DO.NOT.DO.THIS.Not without checking the specifications of your memory, first. Recent 2GB 1GHz+ DDR2 DIMMs using PowerMOS ICs (which is most of them) do not like volts over 2.0. 2.1 is border-line, and 2.2 is just out of the question without active cooling on your RAM i.e. a fan blowing directly on it. Even then the volts alone may be too much, regardless of heat. This is truly dangerous advice, as it was given. >Boot n' run. >>Get a trial copy of Everest>>1) make sure the CPU volts are what you set in the bios >>2) do not drop below ~ 1.4 during Everest's system stability>test.>Everest was discontinued quite some time ago.Try a more recent (and thus still relevant) utility like CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.phpuse either Intel BurnTest http://downloads.guru3d.com/IntelBurnTest-...nload-2047.htmlor OCCT http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Downloadto test system stability at your overclocked settings.>3) Watch CPU temps. The 4 cores can run at or below 80C>without any problem.>80 degrees C is asking for clock throttling. Sort of defeats the purpose of overclocking if you're going to run your CPU so hot that the motherboard reduces voltage and clock settings to maintain a maximum temperature threshold which you have exceeded...

Guest simjunkie

>You're now running side by side with one of those new fangled>i7s 920 systems at its default speed.yeah, right.:-xxrotflmao

>>You're now running side by side with one of those new>fangled>>i7s 920 systems at its default speed.>>yeah, right.>>:-xxrotflmao >You'll note I did not quote this part of Sam's post as it's one of the few items which I actually agree with.It's not a far stretch of the imagination to believe a 3.6GHz Kentsfield is a fair match for a 2.66GHz Bloomfield. Bloomfield would have to be > 37.5% faster than Kentsfield at the same clock speed *on average* in order for his statement to be untrue. This is just not the case.

Guest daniellkeven

guyssssssssssss i have q6600 2.4 with 120 extreme thermarightmotherboard asus p5q pro p458 gb ddr2 trancsend memory 800 mhz with ocz cooleri did try once 400x9 and i got a blue screenhow to do a great ovthanxxxx plz not that i dont know what to change in the bios so plz put everything from a to zthanxxx again

Guest simjunkie

I still don't believe it. Not side by side, there's more going on than just clock speed. If he said "close to i7 920" and gave proper credit to the huge bandwidth increase & half the latency the i7 system has...I wouldn't have said anything.A clocked Q6 might have decent speed (if you can even get the newer batches to 3.6GHz without cooking it) but on DDR2 800 compared to i7? I just don't believe it.-jk

Guest simjunkie

>guyssssssssssss> i have q6600 2.4 with 120 extreme thermaright>motherboard asus p5q pro p45>8 gb ddr2 trancsend memory 800 mhz with ocz cooler>i did try once 400x9 and i got a blue screen>how to do a great ov>thanxxxx plz not that i dont know what to change in the bios>so plz put everything from a to z>thanxxx again>I'm sure that extra 4Gb of memory doesn't help your clock. Can you drop it down to 4Gb? You won't need any more than that. If you haven't clocked that chip before, then you need to SLOWLY work your way up from default speeds & voltages until you find the max speed at temps BELOW 72 deg C and <1.45 vcore (indicated) that your Q6 will run stable. 1.5 vcore is Intel's max spec but temps will be way too hot at that voltage.This "easy as pie" clocking of the Q6600 is a dangerous mindset. Don't think that way. It takes knowledge & time to get a stable, reliable clock.-jk

>I still don't believe it. Not side by side, there's more>going on than just clock speed. If he said "close to i7 920">and gave proper credit to the huge bandwidth increase & half>the latency the i7 system has...I wouldn't have said>anything.>>A clocked Q6 might have decent speed (if you can even get the>newer batches to 3.6GHz without cooking it) but on DDR2 800>compared to i7? I just don't believe it.>>-jkStart here:http://techreport.com/articles.x/15818/6Direct comparison of Core i7 920 to Q6600As I said, Core i7 is not 37.5% faster than Q6 in games, even with a 266MHz clockspeed advantage in the case of the chips compared here, let alone with a 933MHz clockspeed deficit as in the case outlined by Sam. The only exception I could find was UT3.

Guest simjunkie

>>I still don't believe it. Not side by side, there's more>>going on than just clock speed. If he said "close to i7>920">>and gave proper credit to the huge bandwidth increase & half>>the latency the i7 system has...I wouldn't have said>>anything.>>>>A clocked Q6 might have decent speed (if you can even get>the>>newer batches to 3.6GHz without cooking it) but on DDR2 800>>compared to i7? I just don't believe it.>>>>-jk>>Start here:>http://techreport.com/articles.x/15818/6>>Direct comparison of Core i7 920 to Q6600>>As I said, Core i7 is not 37.5% faster than Q6 in games, even>with a 266MHz clockspeed advantage in the case of the chips>compared here, let alone with a 933MHz clockspeed deficit as>in the case outlined by Sam. The only exception I could find>was UT3. Was there an FSX comparison in there? If there was I didn't see it. So what's your point? FSX is a whole different animal. No one should ever be making FSX performance predictions based on i7 performance in these other games. And I never said a stock 920 was 37% faster than a Q6 @ 3.6GHz. What I said was it's not "side by side" Especially in the bandwidth & latency.We're talking about FSX here, not Far Cry 2. Let's see some direct comparisons in FSX between a 3.6GHz Q6 on DDR2 800 vs. a stock 920 and a clocked 920.If people want performance in all those other games then get Sam's system. If you want FSX advice, don't get it from him. Sorry, but this is getting old.-jk

>>Was there an FSX comparison in there? If there was I didn't>see it. So what's your point? >>FSX is a whole different animal. No one should ever be making>FSX performance predictions based on i7 performance in these>other games. And I never said a stock 920 was 37% faster than>a Q6 @ 3.6GHz. What I said was it's not "side by side">Especially in the bandwidth & latency.>>We're talking about FSX here, not Far Cry 2. Let's see some>direct comparisons in FSX between a 3.6GHz Q6 on DDR2 800 vs.>a stock 920 and a clocked 920.>>If people want performance in all those other games then get>Sam's system. If you want FSX advice, don't get it from him. >Sorry, but this is getting old.>>-jkTom's Hardware is the only site on the net that includes FSX in their benchmark suite, and Tom's does not have a Core i7 review which includes FSX numbers. If you care to find a review which proves your assertion, feel free to share it with us.

Guest D17S

Ahh, it's easy as pie with the Q66. These complicated O/C schemes are all about getting the last (pre-ignition) little bit. However the i7 went with AMD's athlon method and will be a bit more complicated. There are 2 CPU temps to consider. Tc is a thermistor mounted in the center of the CPU between the 4 cores. For the Q66, it has a max limit of 72C. There are 4 additional thermistors mounted right in each core. These are called Tj (junction). These are the temps to watch. Intel built in a safety point of 95C and 100C Tj. At 95C, the core starts to slow down. At 100C, it shuts down. Running Tj at 80C is completely withing spec and entirely normal.That Tc is just a quick reference for big operators. It will pickup the average of the Tj, minus about 15C. If the Tj(High) is 80C, then Tj (low) will be ~ 75c. The average of the Tjs will be in the high 70C. Tc will end up being the ~ 78C (Tj average) minus 15C = 63C (Tc). There is simply no problem running those Tjs at 80C.2.2v for DDR2 ram is just a precaution. 2.1v ought to do it.Boot 'n run.

Guest simjunkie

>Ahh, it's easy as pie with the Q66. These complicated O/C>schemes are all about getting the last (pre-ignition) little>bit. However the i7 went with AMD's athlon method and will be>a bit more complicated. >>There are 2 CPU temps to consider. Tc is a thermistor mounted>in the center of the CPU between the 4 cores. For the Q66, it>has a max limit of 72C. There are 4 additional thermistors>mounted right in each core. These are called Tj (junction).>These are the temps to watch. Intel built in a safety point of>95C and 100C Tj. At 95C, the core starts to slow down. At>100C, it shuts down. Running Tj at 80C is completely withing>spec and entirely normal.>>That Tc is just a quick reference for big operators. It will>pickup the average of the Tj, minus about 15C. If the Tj(High)>is 80C, then Tj (low) will be ~ 75c. The average of the Tjs>will be in the high 70C. Tc will end up being the ~ 78C (Tj>average) minus 15C = 63C (Tc). There is simply no problem>running those Tjs at 80C.>>2.2v for DDR2 ram is just a precaution. 2.1v ought to do it.>>Boot 'n run. Whatever you read in your cpuz, realtemp, or otherwise...better not run at 80 deg C. Is there any one else here that thinks 80 deg C is a safe temp to run a Q6600 at?-jk

Guest Nick_N

Unfortunately not only has the suggestion of memory voltage come from a complete lack of technical ability and is very dangerous to suggest without proper cooling and clocking expereince, the suggestion of running a Q6600 at 80c is also quite irresponsible for anyone who is technically experienced.The Q6600 comes in 2 stepping version... B3 and G0assuming the diode temp is being read correctly, on the G0 stepping processor 75c would be the max I would run it and that would ONLY be with OCCT full load test over a 1hr check. FSX will never run that processor that hot if the system is correctly designed with the right voltages in place and the right HSF.The B3 stepping Q6600 has a much different tJunction and tJMax and the suggestion of running it 80c would place it well into tJunction effectively reducing its life and performance.The suggestions that were made should be carefully evaluated and the person making such suggestions should stop before someone here really does lose a processor or memory from very, very dangerous and unqualified advice.What Max missed was the outrageous cost suggestion that was made about a 920 conversion. For processor, memory and motherboard (all other parts could be transferred over) the cost would not be anywhere near 1500 dollars, which was not only an exaggeration, it goes hand in hand with the rest.Game Over