Sign in to follow this  
Guest SOLO

-Chipset for QX9770-

Guest SOLO

Hi folks,I'm building a new PC, and I had my mobo all picked out, the Asus P5E3 Premium (X48 chipset), and today when I went back to the webpage to buy it, it wasn't there. I called the place and they're not carrying it anymore, and I can't find any other store in Spain that has it. So on looking around, I found out that other chipsets can also support the QX9770, like the X38, p35 and p45. Now, these chipsets officially support a FSB speed of 1333, while the QX9770 needs 1600. Since I'm not too tech savvy, can anybody tell me if these chipsets do in fact support the QX9770? If so, I assume I have to OC the FSB to 1600 MHz, right? Is this easy to do? Can someone recommend a good mobo that can o/c to 1600 and supports DDR3 1600 RAM? Thanks!

Guest Nick_N

Best DDR2http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131284Best DDR3 (upgrade to BIOS 0801 which resolves memroy chip noise issues)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131334If you are building a DDR2 system you can not go wrong with the Rampage Formula. Memory for it:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146789those will do 5-5-5 1T tRD 6 @ 1066-1090 on the 400 STRAP (1600) so you can run FSB 400 or FSB 450 with the 9770Corsair also makes a good 1066 DDR3 memory which will run the same as Muskin in speed and FAB4 timing but probably wont allow 1T CMD timinghttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145197In order to run FSB 450 in DDR3 and the 9770 you must be on DDR3 1800 memory so your choices are Corsair or Mushkin in that as wellWhat I posted is what I would personally use if I were going to really make use of that QX processor

Guest SOLO

Thanks for the suggestions Nick. I had looked at that board, but it has a lot of bells and whistles I'm not going to use (because I don't know how), so I'd rather get a cheaper alternative if possible. About all I plan to do is increase the multiplier on the CPU to 9. I'd really rather not mess with memory timings, voltages, etc. I know from reading your posts that that can help performance, but that's an art/science unto itself and one I don't have time to master. What I'd really like to know is if I can get a DDR3 board that uses the P45 or X38 chipset and increase the FSB frequency on those to 1600. i plan to use CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz RAM. Thanks again.

Guest simjunkie

Nick,What is different about those brands that the Mushkin can run tRD6 and the Corsair can't? And 1T also? I've been trying to run DDR2 1080 and tRD6 on my Dominators with no success. tRD7, 2T no problem but I want tRD6. And 1T is a bonus. Can just switching those sticks get the better tRD at the same bus speed (cpu 9x450FSB)?-jk

Guest Nick_N

yesthose Mushies will to 1T and tRD6 at 1080different chips than the corsairs

Guest Nick_N

same boards... and its strait forwardlesson 1: You are purchasing stability and ease of use. If you plan on 1600 you have to clock and you may need to set memory timing manually.. it depends on how the SPD is designed and if the BIOS picks it up correctlyIf you buy the right memory product they should run their rated speed without much if any tinkering but you must still set to MANUAL in the BIOS and apply the correct FSB/STRAP and memory speed Buy cheap.. take the luck of the draw and you may end up tweaking just to try and run basic clock speedsFor DDR3 1600, go with these:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146777those will even do 1800 8-8-8 on that motherboard I posted with BIOS 0801... and 1T CMD but it does require a few special tweaks in NB voltage, Vcore, NB GTL and CPU GTL to do that @ 1800See this post for the numbers: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...5569427/105#112you still have to work Vcore and sometimes NB voltage to even clock basic so get use to it. Buying the better board opens doors even if you dont use or need all the features/setting.. buying cheap slams doors shut and invokes purchases of Advil

Guest Nick_N

ahhh..... secret hiding placeCheck the offical Asus support forums. Its posted there

Guest djt01

>>>ahhh..... secret hiding place>>Check the offical Asus support forums. Its posted thereThanks for the heads up, I

Guest simjunkie

Nick,I got a set of these mushkins. My rampage formula won't even post at tRD6. Memtest locks up during test #5. This is at FSB 450, 333 strap. I tried setting the tRD in BIOS and also using Memset. Same result. Right now I'm at 2.12 vDIMM and 1.55 vNB indicated.Also, I don't have DDR2 1080 available on the 400 strap. just DDR2 900 and 1199.What am I missing here?-jk

I agree that buying a cheap mobo to go with the QX9770 is not a good idea at all.I would like to add that, even though there are folk out there who do not recommend it, there is the Nvidia 790i chipset which is actually worth considering and can be found for pretty decent prices.Yes, the 790i has its issues (very few high end mobo's do not) BUT it will run the QX9770 at native 1600FSB without any overclock at all AND you can effortlessly run 1800MHz DDR3, again with no overclock at all. The FSB and Memory clock can also be unlocked (or linked, synced etc) - offering even greater flexibility. EVGA has pretty good forum support for the 790i - this should not be disregarded either.The QX9770's unlocked multiplier, added to the above, is almost pure heaven ALL without overclocking a single thing. OC'ing the 790i is where things start to get tricky and issues start coming out the woodwork BUT this is dependant on you actually wanting/needing to OC the 790i in the first place. You really just do not need to.Even though owning the 790i has been a sometimes emotional experience for me, I can honestly say that out of the box, without any OC, this board offers up incredible performance. With my 9800GTX Crysis, FC2, Bioshock, all on maximum settings, run really well.Konrad

Konrad

Guest Nick_N

jk333 is the correct STRAP for 450FSB 1081 on DDR2This is a -my bad- situationI confused the DDR3 1600 Mushkins with the 1066 Mushkins and with the DDR2 sticks PL7 is their max at 1081. DDR3's run PL6 NB should not need to be much more than 1.47-1.52I'm ready for a few weeks down on Bora-Bora and not the sim versionSincere apologies. I have been stretched pretty thin lately

Guest simjunkie

No worries Nick. I got these running DDR2 1105, 5-5-5-12, over 8 hrs memtest stable. Pretty good sticks.Have a great time on your trip!-jk

Guest Nick_N

>No worries Nick. I got these running DDR2 1105, 5-5-5-12, >over 8 hrs memtest stable. Pretty good sticks.>>Have a great time on your trip!>>-jk>1105 should help make up for PL6 to PL7they are good sticksI was just kidding about the trip... I need it but right now I am tied up. Between GEX and watching the market I am ready for an escapebut I still screwed the pooch on that one... gonna haft'a slow down a bit

Guest simjunkie

Tell me about it. I looked at my company's stock price this morning (Gen-Probe, inc.), -15% drop! There's gonna be talk around the watercooler today that's for sure. Why can't I get stock options now?You didn't screw anything as far as I'm concerned. I've had those Dom's for months now and I wanted to experiment with something new anyway. I'm getting slightly better Everest scores at the same settings, I'm gonna experiment more, and I like to have extra memory on hand too.-jk