Sign in to follow this  
geoffco

HD4870 X2 on nForce Motherboard - technical question

Guest Nick_N

>>I see the transaction booster is on AUTO. I do think that>>should be either disabled or defined as 07 till all else is>>figured out and stable. Then work it back down and I do>think>>the sticks should be run at their designed timming.>>>So you are stable and everything checks at 405 with what you>>posted and on the 400 STRAP?>>>>You should be over 1600 then @ 405MHz >>My mistake, but it is not the case. I forgot, I had changed>Greg's clock twister setting to AUTO, not Lightest, plus I>have Performance Level at 6, not 7.. The 333 strap with a 408>FSB is totally error free and it's great! You were just trying to confuse an old man.. I got your number LOLjust kiddingAll good on those settings>>When it comes right down to it I am not sure what you are>>after at 410-415MHz. If you have to sacrifice tRD and 1T to>>get to 410-415, I dont see that as being worth the loss>>>>I would run 7-7-7 @ tRD6 and 1T before I would bump FSB to>>410-415 and lose tRD or CMD>>I'm actually running 7-6-6 at tRD6 & 1T at FSB 408, strap 333>(haven't tried higher FSB) with no Memtest errors.>>I must say, FSX is running best ever, or so it seems--you know>how that can be. But for an example, I took two flights this>AM in CoolSky's MD80 Pro, with all the addons in ASX, almost>maxed out in every FSX parameter (cept traffic, etc), and>landing at 09 at KSAN just after sun up, clouds out to 110>miles, and landed the thing at 24 frames (I mention frames>only because without minimum frames it's a problem too>;o))WITH BLOOM ON, super smooth, super clear textures. It was>running "very good" before, now it's very better!Isn

Guest Nick_N

NoelWhen you get on a larger memory video card you may want to try a little geometry buffering.. could help with that taxi stutter.bufferpools added to the FSX config file set to 35000000 (35MB max for a 640MB card) 70000000 (70MB max) with a 768 or above may clean that up{BUFFERPOOLS}Poolsize=70000000I would probably -not- add poolsize with a 512 card and if you try it, dont exceed 15000000 (15MB)It reserves video memory for buffering geometry around the aircraft in the LOD. With a 512 card that reduces the video memory by the reserved amount. With 640, 768 and above FSX gets its 512 + the reserved poolsize without cutting into the 512 FSX wants.35000000 leaves enough for the frame buffer on a 640 card and 70000000 leaves enough for the frame buffer on a 768 card... 1GB cards could go higher without issue but I dont see a need for more than 100-125MB reserveI also run a 80 Texture Bandwidth Multipler. A 70 to 80 TBM tends to be the sweet spot on all the systems I have tuned but that is a YMMV setting. Some find it best to leave it alone.I also add in the lines to halt the default flight from pre-loading when FSX is launched{Main}DisablePreload=1I dont see any reason to preload into memory a flight and scenery I may not use

>If you are happy where you are.. stay there. If you want to>move to 1800 I would suggest wait and do that with another>memory upgrade down the road so there is no head-bang'in>tweaking involved but I will be glad to throw numbers out to>see if the Mushie's may run 1800 on that board. They will on>the Rampage but I was off the P5E3 by the time the Mushkin>sticks hit the market so I cant make a call on how successful>the attempt may be>>Rest assured Noel, you did a super job on that clock>and nailed what I think are all the high notes.Thanks Man . . .I'm happy for sure. I have been running these at 398 with latencies around 48.5 or so, which was a nice improvement. Now they are in the 46.7 range and it really seems great. I think, from what you are saying, the best move would be to go to Vista 64, and use the new drivers, even for my 8800GT. Since it's all so good now I don't think I want to go there until I'm board and want to set up a new whole installation. I have Vista 64 unopened in a box though, so could do it at any time.Probably just install Vista on a new Seagate 250Gb SATA II (I already own it), then put FSX in its own Cheetah as I am currently doing with XP32.Nick, do you know of software that can display all of the BIOS settings from within Windows? That would sure be helpful.QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Nick_N

>I'm happy for sure. I have been running these at 398 with>latencies around 48.5 or so, which was a nice improvement. >Now they are in the 46.7 range and it really seems great. I>think, from what you are saying, the best move would be to go>to Vista 64, and use the new drivers, even for my 8800GT. >Since it's all so good now I don't think I want to go there>until I'm board and want to set up a new whole installation. >I have Vista 64 unopened in a box though, so could do it at>any time.Absolutely not saying use Vista.. I am sure you have the >2GB address space edit in the boot.ini file for XP x32. That should give you error free operation up through 3.2GBI mean use that new driver for your current install. Getting good reports with the exception of a few with install issues with the driver on Vista64. Make sure to get the November 08 DX Update too. >>Probably just install Vista on a new Seagate 250Gb SATA II (I>already own it), then put FSX in its own Cheetah as I am>currently doing with XP32.Dual boot if you want to experiment and don't screw up what you have. You will need to install FSX into Vista.>Nick, do you know of software that can display all of the BIOS>settings from within Windows? That would sure be helpful.>I sure dont Noel. First on my punchlist when I get a new motherboard is to make a Excel worksheet (sometimes do it before motherboard arrives) and list the BIOS settings using copy/paste from the PDF, then verify those in the actual BIOS being used and edit accordingly. Many times the BIOS does not match the manual or a BIOS update makes a change which I edit into the worksheet. I set up Excel pages for each BIOS and make notes.