Sign in to follow this  
Guest PowderBlue

FSX Paints

Guest PowderBlue

How do or what do I use to repaint the A321 in FSX? I see a DDS extension and Don't know what that is. Thanks!

You'll need to use DXTBmp and convert the bmps in to DDS DXT5 although not having FSX I can't verify this. You also need to change the alpha channel and include a specular file of some sort.

That's rather a short answer to give someone who's probably new to painting... :)Let's tabulate that and expand some more, shall we?1. Some form of graphics software - Photoshop, PSP, Corel PhotoPaint etc. (Even Windows paint will do basics)2. A "paintkit" for the plane you want to paint. Look on the maker's website, they often have a download somewhere. It'll be one or a series of square images with parts of the aeroplane on.3. Practice4. FS does not work with normal graphics files, you need a convertor software like DXTbmp (google DXTbmp and look for the mnwright website) or you can use "imagetool" which is included on the FSX Deluxe DVD set, or by downloading from Microsoft somewhere.- these convertors ar needed to convert your paints to DXT or DDS formats. FSX prefers the latter but can use plain DXT3 format still; you just won't be able to use the new lighting effects.5. If you're painting for FSX then the SDK has a lot of useful information about the various images you need to create for an FSX model. FSX makes use of different paint technologies, so you'll have to learn about specular and bump map files (see te SDK info files for starters)For FSX you can have four different images per texture sheet - Base colour, Specular, Bump map and Night shine You also need a fair deal of patience while you learn and practice, because the specs and bumpmaps will take you out of the world of just painting and into deeper realms of alpha channels, height maps, colour wheels, RGB channels and pulling your own hair out by its roots. There's a useful website and forum at http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/forums/ where you can get plenty of adviceI don't want to frighten you off Jason, I guess you want to do "Spirit" logos for your VA? But all I will say is "beware" - you could get bitten by the repainting bug and end up with no time on your hands for flying or managing a VA :-lol Anyway, once you get over the first hurdles, it's not that difficult to get the basics. Have fun.Chris

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Guest PowderBlue

Thanks a bunch alot of good info there. Time to start reading!