Sign in to follow this  
mjrhealth

How to do a chrome spinner

i use photoshop 8 and am wondering what colour would i need to simulate a chrome Spinner Thank you in advance.

The best way would be to actually use a photo and manipulate to fit the spinner texture. Alternatively just look at photos of spinners and try and replicate them.For example:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1207537/L/ You could use the right engine spinner and stretch it over the spinner texture.. The colours you're looking for is typically shades of grey. With white at the top and dark grey underneath.. you could try and bring in a bit of bluish grey to simulate the sky.Here's another which looks slightly less reflective than the first:http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1201333/L/

Guest wji

Most flight simulator models use varying shades of grey-to-black in the alpha channel to replicate chrome effects.Using DXTbmp, Export the alpha using a unique name and edit the spinner area to a darker shade of grey (or black) as required. (S)ave it in the default 8bit format and Import it back using DXTbmp Import Alpha command. Of course, using FSRepaint (abacuspub.com) one can experiment from inside this neat repaint program and immediately see the results. I use both FSRepaint and PhotoShop for repainting.

I assumed he was talking about painting a chromed spinner but at least we have both sides covered now :)

Ok does black give the closest to chrome look,the original file has a black alpha cahhen already but spiiner was black to. So and what colour would i need to paint the spinner to give best look. I have used grey is this correct.

Black would indeed be 100% reflections and would produce the appearance of chrome :) Make sure you have the check box in the flight sim display settings ticked.Heres a tutorial I've made regarding alpha channels:Click

Guest wji

>Ok does black give the closest to chrome look,the original>file has a black alpha cahhen already but spiiner was black>to. So and what colour would i need to paint the spinner to>give best look. I have used grey is this correct.It all depends upon the model. Some models render black-alpha as transparent. The HC-412 is example, as I recall. I did not see the model name in this thread.

its one of the PAD DCH6 300 models. If i make the spinner grey it appears more like white in the sim. But i think i might create an alpha channel in the BMP as thery have a seperate BMP caleed spinner that has a black alpha, but not sure how it fits into the scheme of things,,.