Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

BMP issue with paintkit

Hi, This is from Wilco Airbus Vol 2, Rolls-Royce Variant. All they provided in the paintkit for the engines are .bmp's (one layer). I am not very good at drawing yet and I was wondering if anyone has created a layered version. In the meantime I am trying to figure out how to create a version that I can work with... add color other than white as many airlines paint thier engines. eng3_T.jpg

\Robert Hamlich/

Guest Tiberius1250

Hi. There's probably a simpler way but this is the way I'd go about it, assuming you're using something like PSP (I believe Photoshop is similar).Start by duplicating the background and then hiding it. Select this new layer you just duplicated and lasso select the parts of the engines you'll want to paint, invert the lasso selection and delete everything else, leaving a layer with just the 'cut out' engines. Then create a new raster layer, colour this black (flood fill). Select this layer, hide it (there should now only be the 'cut out' engines layer showing on the transparent chequered background) and go to Mask > New > From image, invert this new mask and you now have a pure black gradient layer where the lightest parts are transparent and the darkest parts opaque. You can now unhide the background, position your 'cut out' engines layer under the gradient one and paint away on them, just lasso selecting again and using flood fill on them to change the colour.This way you get the panel detail and shading to show as shading over whatever colour/logos you want to paint onto the engines. This is the way I create shading when I texture my models and it works very well when you want to switch colours. You can also adjust the layer opacity slider and layer blend mode to alter the effect (normal and multiply are normally useful).Regards, Bruce :)

Hi Bruce,Thanks for the quick reply and the handy instructions to go along with it. I will give it a try after I have read it a few times and experiment.I will let you know how it turns out.Regards,

\Robert Hamlich/

Alternatively you can just add a layer over the top, add the colour and change the mode to "Multiply".

Hi Bruce and Morgan,Bruce, I was able to add color using following your instructions, and after a break around midnight last night. In Photoshop select Image>Adjust>Invert and then multiply the layer and it works great.I then saw Morgan's post and tried that as well and it also worked fantasticly. It was alot of trial and error but I am happy that I learned something.Thanks again for your help guys,

\Robert Hamlich/