Sign in to follow this  

Systemspecs for WideFS?

Guest Binabik

After reading lots of positive stories about WideFS, i am thinking about using it too. Now i am looking for a second computer, but i dont know what kind of 'minimum specs' I need? What kind of computer do you all use? Is there a minimum? Thanks in advance!

I guess there is a minimum spec but no idea what.I think it is more a question of what other programs you will be running on the second PC that determines the spec of the PC.As long as both PC's can run TCP/IP and/or IPX/SPX and ideally use the same OS you should be OK.Widefs does not use that much system resources.HTH

I use a Dell PIII 850 with Windows 98 as a second machine. I have Networked it to a 2.2 P4 Windows XP Pro computer. I use WideFS along with Radar Contact Version 3, NAV 3.0, and ActiveSky wxRE and all at the same time from the second machine. Radar Contact works wonderfully well this way. So fast that I have to really listen attentively to get clearances etc. I'm going to be using the second machine for as many add on programs as I can as soon as I figure out how to make them work. Some seem easier than others. Other fun things that are available to you while flying FS 2002 are listening to MP3 music or CDs, surfing the net, and reading instructions about how to work some sytem you don't have a clue about while you are flying your airplane without FS 2002 minimizing back and forth while you scroll those PDF instruction files up and down. The possibilities seem endless and your main FS program continues to run far more smoothly with higher frame rates to boot than if you simply tasked all of this stuff to run on one machine. From what I have read from other posts it seems that about any computer that runs Windows 98 and up that you can Network will do just fine including laptops. That's a pretty broad statement but the gist is that you don't need a whole lot of processor power etc to get the job done. I'm completely satisfied with what I've got. Bob, Rogers, Arkansas

I networked a 75MHz Win98SE computer and used WideFS and Nav3.1. The real problem was the slow computer and not enough memory.

Guest Binabik

Anyone one else with lower system-specs running it?

i think Widefs and Wideview are 2 different thingsbut anyway if you are talking about wideview i have read in other forums people with P3 500 Mhz machines have run FS2002 successfully on mutiple machines