Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

TaxiwaySigns.com needs your help!

We need some sort of an add-in where you can specify (possibly by slewing) the NW and SE corners of an airport, then have the add-in take screenshots (just a screen capture works, I have something that will watch the clipboard for images) of every square inch bound by that square. Another thing that it would have to do is log into a text file the exact coordinates at the center of the screenshot. It would help TREMENDOUSLY our efforts to quickly and accurately release new sign sceneries. If this is something you are capable of doing, please contact me (signs@taxiwaysigns.com) for details. Heck, I'm not even sure if this is possible, but it would save so much time that I'm checking...Thanks!Thomas N. LinTaxiwaySigns.com

Guest KenG

I'll give your message a bump back to the top for all the great work you've done, Thomas.

Don't give *me* credit...thanks to all the great developers and testers....Thomas N. LinTaxiwaySigns.com

Another bump (this one for gratitude): Great to have taxiwaysigns back!!Gabriel.

I love to bump into taxiway signs.... Thanks Taxiwaysigns.com for an excellent idea, and excellent FS2002 add-on

Hi Thomas,Nice to see that you are still working on placing all those signs :D.Instead of bumping it up all the time, let me try to say something about the question :).I don't know a complete answer to it, but have you thought about using FSUIPC? Then you could (like AFCAD for example) just get the location from the sim right into your program. Maybe it takes to much time to place all macros in such a way, but I think it is the best way to get coordinates from the sim. We also use it in the design tool made for our team.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I agree with your idea. It's easy to do. Like, you slew the plane, stop it on the place where you want the sign, go to the program, choose the sign and the program generates the SCASM.If you want the FSUIPC functions to get the location drop me an E-Mail they are written in C.Jos

Guest GabrielR

Hi, that would be great. I am an absolute lover of the work you guys do (hate to ask: "Miami ground please draw the freaking pink line so I don't get lost"). I think that once that tool is developed , oppening an unnoficial area where developers can share their work with the rest of the fellow simmers would be great also. (I think that the unnoficial area in PAI was a very smart move) It keeps everybody busy, while we, the developers, and the managers and beta testers do their work. I understand how difficult is to make quality control, but sometimes people lose interest when things are slowly delivered.Congratulations, keep up the good work!Gabriel!!!

Well, the actual location is only one small part of the equation. For what we need, we need screenshots (top down [backspace then one -]) in order to properly place the signs in FSSC. Right now, we slew by hand, hit print screen, then let a program that monitors the clipboard for new images save the screenie. In FSSC, we place the background image, by typing in the coordinates in the top/left corner of the screenie. I'm 99.99% done with a program that'll let you enter the filename and coordinates and it will automatically add the background images to FSSC (much easier route)...BUT it would be SUPER easy for our designers if there were some program that would do all that for you:1) slew2) take a screenie3) record the coordinates of the screenie and the filename to a logfile (textfile)then I could read the textfile, convert to x/y based on the great circle formula, and dump the data into FSSC.I was aware that FSUIPC would get the coords, but we need that tied to the screenshots if possible.Thomas N. LinTaxiwaySigns.com