Sign in to follow this  
Dean_EGTC

Fuel burn query

Currently at FL370 with a GW of 198t. Engines are showing 6.9t FF. Does a 777-200LR really use nearly 14 tons of fuel every hour? Seems an awful lot but then again it is a big aircraft.

Dean,You're seeing "kilopounds" - in your case approx. 6900 lbs/hour per engine. I'm getting an average of 13.400 lbs/hour total, using a Cost Index of 0, based on approximately 45 hours of flight so far in the 777-200LR.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Kilopounds??I use Metric settings with altitude in feet as I do for all other aircraft. If I see 6.9 FF per engine then that should equate to 6,900kg or 6.9 metric tons.

Dean,Good point, I use the same settings as you... If I look at the fuel totalizer it is indeed expressed in tonnes on my system, whereas the fuel flow is clearly expressed in lbs/hr x 1000 (hence my expression "kilopounds" ;-))Now, the question is - and this one's for PSS - is this by design or a small thing that slipped through?Looking at the illustrations in the manual, it clearly says "Kgs x1000" for the EICAS total fuel indication and on the MFD FUEL page Total Fuel indicator has a similar label. The explanatory text for the individual tank figues on the same page, however, says "Displays tank fuel quantity in selected weight x1000". And as we know, the ENG page of the MFD just says "Engine fuel flow per hour x1000".I'm nowhere near my simming PC, so I can't experiment with settings at the moment, but I'll try later.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Just a quick follow-up after further testing. As suspected, both EICAS and the MFD FUEL page correctly reflect the selected international settings - it's just the MFD ENG page that shows the FF in lbs/hr x 1000 regardless of the above settings.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.