Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

PSS 757 FMC runway selection

Hello PSS fansAgain, some flights this week end and some reporting to do, hoping this can help further improving the already very good PSS 757.It is regarding the runway selection.1. I noticed that when you import a fs9 fltpln which already have sid and star waypoints, and you want to insert the same sid (or star) in the FMC, the new waypoints (corresponding to the inserted SID) do not "merge" with the fltplan waypoints. They just add up on top of the plan. You have to manually adjust by correcting the fltplan.This is not to bad for a SID, but more of a problem with the stars.2. Another issue is when you have a Runway active and a star active and you need to change the runway (say the one you expect was different). If you change the runway and you have flown most of the star, the active star adds up to the flightplan again. To make it more simple; you cannot change the runway without AFFECTING the flightplan. is this behaviour normal?3. Waypoints defined as VECTOR, TRACK, VORxxx/xxx in inserted sid/star are not considered by the A/P. is this normal?4. How to define a waypoint that is, let us say, 10nm ahead of the runway heading?Thank you and regardsGhiomPS; how to activate the scratchpad on the FMC?

Guest NormanB

Ghiom,An imported flightplan has waypoints but these waypoints are not considered as part of a SID STAR - this is a limitation of the way they are saved from FSNav or similar.If you need to change the runway you should go back to the ARR page and select the runway followed by the STAR.PDB waypoints are supported and covered in the manual.

*** YOU ARE VERY QUICK!!!>Ghiom,>>An imported flightplan has waypoints but these waypoints are>not considered as part of a SID STAR - this is a limitation of>the way they are saved from FSNav or similar.*** CAN YOU CONFIRM THIS IS A PSS LIMITATION (SINCE OTHER ADDONS DO THE MERGE).>>If you need to change the runway you should go back to the ARR>page and select the runway followed by the STAR.*** YES, BUT WHEN I HAVE REACHED THE POINT WHERE I NEED TO CHANGE THE RUNWAY, I HAVE NEARLY FLOWN THE STAR SO I DON'T WANT IT TO BE ADDED AGAIN TO THE FLIGHTPLAN!!!WOULD'NT IT BE BETTER TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THE RUNWAY WITHOUT AFFECTING THE FLIGHTPLAN?>PDB waypoints are supported and covered in the manual.***JUST BROWSE THROUGH THE FMC MANUAL. COULDN'T FIND. PDB LIKE ( 800), (10D), (7000) DON'T SEEM TO WORK FOR ME.THANK YOU FOR YOUR QUICK REPLYGHIOM

Guest NormanB

Ghiom,No need to shout :)I cant confirm its a PSS limitation (since I dont have any other aircraft installed in FSX at the moment) but can tell you that when a plan is exported from FSNav it adds SID/STAR fixes as waypoints - you will note in the FMC that if you add a SID/STAR to your plan it is annotated in the FMC as part of the XXXXX SID/STAR and not just a regular waypoint.If you are having to chang the runway at such a late stage then this would be pretty bad planning on the part of ATC or the pilot. Many SID/STARs are runway dependant and from what I have seen real world this is the way it operates (minus the cursing and swearing I have heard from the pilots as they have to clean up the FMC)PDBI just added a couple of PDB - one on the legs page and one on the RTE page with no issues.For my example I used the Sydney VOR "SY" and entered SY250/10 the format being PlaceBearing/Distance

Sorry Norman if I may have sounded like "shouting".Thank you for your answer.Regarding the PDB, I know how to create a customized waypoint like XXX/-40, 40 miles ahead of XXX...My point was that the FMC does not seem to recognized those coming from SIDs in the form of like ( 800), (10D), (7000) [refer to the manual], etc...Regards,Ghiom

I have the same problem with the STAR being re-entered when selecting the runway. I use Radar Contact, and often set a point 40nm from the airport to facilitate the descent. This point however usually has to be placed right in the middle of the STAR. I also remove any altitude constraints from the STAR as I know Radar Contact won't be using them.I then get the arrival weather on passing about 18000ft which is where I get the runway in use. I then enter this into the FMC, hit EXEC, and my 40nm fix is deleted, and the original STAR inserted with the original altitude constraints, causing the aircraft to level off or go into a dirty dive in order to achieve the new vertical profile.

Thank you PhilTHis is exactly my problem but you described it with much better words than I.I also use Radar Contact.By the way, how do you get the runway in use, especiallay when there are parallel ones? I can guess from the wind, but not necessarily the runway.Thank you again, for brightening my point.Ghiom

When I'm passing about 18000ft I press 2 which is the "Leave frequency for weather" option. This gives you the runway as weel as the weather. I switch comms to the co-pilot first though (Ctrl+Sft+K), as when I do it myself it takes about 2 minutes to get through. Seems to be alot quicker when the co-pilot does it.Going back to the PSS issue, the problem I had before was that the whole STAR would be deleted when selecting the runway. I had to wait until I was on headings from ATC before selecting the runway. Although the new procedure does cure the STAR being deleted, it still requires me to wait for headings or until I level off as it alters my VNAV descent profile.I'm hoping that the FSX conversion process will allow PSS to put to bed the remaining few issues.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.