Sign in to follow this  

ILS Approach

Hi there,I try to land with the ILS but I don't know how it works.I don't see the localizer on my EFIS. Witch buttons do I have to push? Or have it to appear automatically if I fly with IFR?Please can someone give me an answer. Till now I can only land with clear weather. Not realistic on EHAM.Regards,Cees

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello,Here is some brief information that might help. If you're looking for detail, try the straight in ILS lesson in FS2002 or go to this site: http://www.avsim.com/geoffschool/ If you have ATC vectors, when they give you a heading or direction like this "Orbit 6737, fly heading 060, clear ILS runway 9R maintain 2500 until established on the localizer" here's what you do...First, dial in the ILS frequency on NAV1 radio. Then set the NAV1 course/OBS to the rwy heading. Next, put the heading and altitude ATC gives you into the heading and altitude selectors on the autopilot. Engage heading hold, and altitude select mode and also press the ILS button. In this example, you would be flying heading 060 and at 2,500ft. You want to maintain an airspeed of about VREF+10 (see the kneeboard for VREF). When the Localizer needle starts to center, the airplane will automatically turn towards the rwy heading to intercept. In this case that would be 090 for rwy 9R. As you head towards the rwy the autopilot will automatically descend as the glideslope centers. You should then select gear down, flaps down, and VREF on the airspeed. Disengage the AP when you have RWY in sight or at least by 200ft and land the airplane.Sorry if this is kind of confusing but if it is just go to the tutorial I mentioned above.Regards,Marc

There is also an excellent tutorial entitled "Flying the Coupled Approach" in the aviation section at www.stoenworks.com

Hi Marc,I have try it out to fly from Amsterdam to Brussels, and it works OK.Just because I have the ILS rw25 frequency for Brussels.How can I get the frequencies from all other airports?Can I find it somewhere in FS2002 or have FS select the frequency automatically, like it do the COM frequencies?Hope you can help me.Regards,Cees

Hi Folks,Thanks for your help.I've finnally (after a lot searching)found the options in FS2002.Now I can fly blind.See ya,Cees

Hello,One other thing you might want to try for realism is to use ILS approach charts. They will give you the frequency and everything. I would try http://edj.net/cgi-bin/echoplate.pl for the US only. They are free there and you just print them out. Flying blind is fun, isn't it!?!Regards,Marc