Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfoofficer

Practice Thread #5 VNDP-VNBR

Guest sfoofficer

Just a quick run. Getting used to the P-38.

Morning,Yes, it would have been my best landing in the Mustang yet, except for... Lets' not dwell on that.So, what you're saying is: If this should happen (heaven forbid!) in the race, the leg is valid? I'll keep that in mind!BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi JeroenMy former bos, who was a retired flight captain, had an almost similar saying:Any land you can walk away from is a good landing. If the aircraft is still useable, so much the better...:)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi Chris,No, I'm out. But I get the time next week, I will duplicate your legs, using saved weather from AS6. So I won't miss school - just the fun of multiplayer...BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest SoarPics

Long leg but the winds aloft look favorable. I'll be flying the P-51H LR.Greg

Guest Jozef_K

Greg,When I look at the times, I see that you have a baton time of 1:58. But looking at the posting times (10:14 and 12:19) you have 2:05. As far as I have understand the posting times are decisive. Am I right and did you get a time penalty?Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest SoarPics

Hi Jozef,Indeed you are correct. I thought I had read that the flight log was the official time. Had to go through the previous practice threads to find this posted by Mike, "Just for "Race" purposes, note that the official time is the time between the "I have the Baton" and the "Baton is Free" postings on the forum."Although I fail to see the reasoning for that. If everybody will be using Duenna for flight logging, and it shows actual "flight" time (or "baton" time, whichever may be more correct) then what is the logic behind "posting" times? When it's all said and done the team that crosses the finish line first (therefore in the shortest overall time) wins. If the actual "flight" time exceeds 2 hrs then a penalty will incur, otherwise it's a good "flight".But the rules is the rules, so I apologize for causing the team a penalty.Cheers,Greg

Hi GregThink of it this way: Once the baton is grabbed, no one else can do anything with it until it's released. And the only place you can grab and release it officially is on the forum. So I'd say it's only fair that the 'leg' time is from baton grab to baton free - on the forum! It also keeps us from dawdling once we have grabbed to baton :)BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Hi Greg,Sven is right here. The original idea was that the "race" would be a steady trek across the world. The 2 hour limit was to keep people from holding the baton for long periods while others might want to fly. In the first days, pilots would take the baton when they noticed it was on the ground, choose an aircraft, think about a destination and do the flightplanning, set up their aircraft and weather and such, and then take off. All while the clock was running. How times change!Also, for more technical reasons, the Forum time is useful for those occasions when the Duenna fails and the pilot must rely on the Flight Analysis screenshot.(BTW. People might want to practice making a screenshot of the Flight Analysis screen & resizing it. Just for an emergency--you don't want to be figuring out how to do this on the fly.)Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest SoarPics

Hi Sven,But the time between postings will have an impact only on the total time of the race, and then it's impact will mean little. That has nothing to do with the actual "flight" time any given pilot puts up for any given flight. In the end, if you and I dawdle between your posting that the baton is free and me taking it for the next leg then it is our overall team's time that suffers. That's more a scheduling/planning/smoothness-of-handoff issue rather than actual flight time.I'm not saying the rule is bad and should be changed. The rules are the rules, and I readily accept them. In the past "posting" times were the only way we had of proving that a pilot didn't grossly exceed 2 hrs/flight. But Duenna changes all that. It logs baton time and flight time. Posting times should have little if any relevance. In the end the race will be clocked total time from start to crossing the finish line. All the posting times really do is offer a platform for you to declare the baton free and me claiming it for the next leg.Regards,Greg

Guest Jozef_K

"But the rules is the rules, so I apologize for causing the team a penalty."Greg, No need to apologize. This is what practice flights are for, so we can avoid mistakes in the Race itself. Better we make mistakes now than when the game is on.Jozef K. http://homepages.onsnet.nu/~jkusters/signature.jpg

Guest SoarPics

"This is what practice flights are for, so we can avoid mistakes in the Race itself."And I'll certainly be mindful of the "posting" times rule during the race. You're right... this is the time to iron out all the wrinkles.Greg