Sign in to follow this  
Guest byoung

IFR HIgh Altitude Jet Flying

Guest byoung

One of my beefs with FS ATC is the fact that they don't really do stepped descents. The Feel There ERJ for example, you can only descend at a rate of 1500-1800 FPM, even less especially below 10K with the 250 knot speed restriction.Can anyone comment on how VOXATC handles "the heavies" and stepped descents? And climbs for that matter? Flying the cessna demo is really cool, especially having to open a VFR flight plan, way cool!Also, go arounds, holds, traffic delays, would like to hear about also. Thanks!Barry

Hi Barry,For something as specialized as the ERJ-145 (I fly it too :)) you are better off using the SID/STAR setup so you can have these "stepped descents." Even without prior knowlege of the landing runway you can use a STAR that works for the direction you are coming from, and if you have already checked arrival weather you can request a specific full ILS approach. The FMS on the ERJ will fly it very well this way. The options menu lets you specify whether you want holding patterns and traffic diversions so give those a try. If you don't like the way your final approach is looking announce that you are going around and you will be told to fly published procedures, works nicely.Have fun flying,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I'd be cautious of ticking the Traffic Diversions. Anytime I use them, I end up being routed in a complete 360, which is silly. It should be some sort of modest route change and then an instruction resume own nav.

The traffic diversion was designed more for slower GA aircraft in mind... they are usually the ones that get moved out of the way anyway :)Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I appreciate that. But it does bring to the fore the fact that VoxATC needs to decide what it's trying to be. I think it's really much more suited to VFR/GA stuff. For me, there are too many compromises for flying airways with it as it stands. If only it were possible to get the ATC fidelity of RC with the voice interaction of VoxATC, and then I think I'd gladly throw VATSIM in the Recycle Bin