Sign in to follow this  
Guest RichardL

Runway Hold

Guest RichardL

What could be causing this situation?I planned an IFR flight from LOWI to EDDF. Received ATIS, clearance, and taxi instructions. At the runway hold line I was told to taxi into position and hold. I replied and did so. Then nothing else. I sat there burning fuel for over five minutes. I even set the sim to 4x time compression but still no takeoff clearance. The controller kept telling me "clearance not available at this time". I finally took off and flew without ATC.I did notice that one VOR never would tune even when directly over it. The frequency was dialed in correctly. Richard

Hi Richard>What could be causing this situation?>>I planned an IFR flight from LOWI to EDDF. Received ATIS,>clearance, and taxi instructions. At the runway hold line I>was told to taxi into position and hold. I replied and did>so. Then nothing else. I sat there burning fuel for over>five minutes. I even set the sim to 4x time compression but>still no takeoff clearance. The controller kept telling me>"clearance not available at this time". I finally took off>and flew without ATC.When this has happened to me I try repeating the last instruction, in this case to "taxi into position and hold." There are times the text will turn blue, indicating that your callsign is recognized, but the message itself was not recognized. >>I did notice that one VOR never would tune even when directly>over it. The frequency was dialed in correctly. I don't understand this... VoxATC will not have an affect on navaids so it might be a problem with the chart you are getting this information from or possibly interaction with an add-on scenery.>>Richard Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest RichardL

Hi Zane,Would asking ten or more times and still not getting take-off clearance indicate anything? I tried an IFR flight from Zurich to Munich. Taxied to the runway and when I requested take-off, I was told "clearance not available at this time." After ten or more requests and still getting the same answer I took off anyway.Any ideas,Richard

Hi Richard,If you are getting a "clearance not available at this time" it indicates that something is happening out of order for the programming or you are not at the location the program is expecting you to be. I am assuming that you have been given your clearance, made a taxi request and taxi to the assigned runway. I have found that if you have a specific runway you would like to take off from it is better to request for this runway rather than say "ready for taxi." Another area I have had difficulty is with airports outside of the USA. Some of the airport names can cause confusion with the program, I will give the Zurich to Munich flight a try and see what I find.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest RichardL

Must be an "outside the US" problem as you stated. I do not recall having this problem on conus flights.Thanks for checking,Richard

Hi Richard,I just made the Zurich to Munich flight in the Eaglesoft Citation II, IFR at 11,000 feet without any real problems. Now that doesn't necessarily mean that I did something right and you did something wrong. The weather I used had me take off on runway 34 (close to my parking spot) and land on ILS runway 8R. Some additional information that would help is which runway were you directed to, from which parking spot, aircraft you are flying and was it private or commercial (difference being whether you were flying as an airline flight or using a registration number). The airport names (and names used by VoxATC for all calls in this particular flight) did not appear to be causing any of the difficulty. I do know that using the airline name of "Delta" can cause problems if your taxi instructions also have you using taxiway "delta," this is also being worked on by support.Don't think this helped you much but if you get me the additional info I will try it again trying to recreate your own situation.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888