Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Library Search Function out dated

Sure seems like the search feature of the file library uses technology that is about 8-10 years old.For example try to search for a US Airways A330 repaint for FSPainter aircraft.You can search for just US Airways and it returns over 1500 results and there is no way to sort by relevance. So entries with "US Airways" are mixed in with 1,500 other results that just have the word "Airways" in it. Try searching for "US Airways" with quotation marks (which is standard in most search engines for return only results with that exact phrase) and it returns no results at all. Same results whether using regular search or Extended. This leaves us with having to do 3 or 4 different searches for FSP*, FS Painter, etc. and go thru hundreds of listings hitting ctrl-F on each page to search the results of your search engine. Very much like finding a needle in haystack.Even the instructions are incorrect on the Extended Search. The instructions say searching for airbus A340 will search for the phrase, but this is not true, it will search for the words, not the phrase and it doesn't sort by relevance.I guess it would be nice if you could search the FILE DESCRIPTIONS using standard search engine features like +, -, ""s, etc.I would love to be able to enter this into your search page:FSP "FSPainter" "FS Painter" A330And have it return results sorted by relevance. Don't take this as a complaint, cause I really enjoy AVSIM, just a suggestion. I figure the last time I made a suggestion (which was linking to downloads from your home page) you implemented it so thought I'd try again.Thanks for listening.Matt

Guest Stamatis

I fully agree with you and have posted a similar note in this forum, but no reaction.They have not even bothered to correct the wrong instruction, as you very rightly point out, that the claim:airbus a340 searches for the phrase "airbus a340"does not work that way. If one enters airbus a340 the search will come up with all files whose descriptions contain either of the two words, and definitely not just the files where the phrase "airbus a340" is included.In fact, with Avsim's library search engine there is no way one can search for a phrase :-(It seems Tom is content with the current state and that is a pity.Stamatis

Use the Advanced search, I'll admit the quick search is useless. It just takes a little time but its worth it - this file library is second to none. Plus its free, what more can you ask for?

Guest Stamatis

I was referring to the "Extended Search", if that is what you mean. I do not see any "Advanced Search" menu.After all, the wrong instructions I am referring to only appear in the "Extended Search" menu.For a Library Manager you do not seem to be using the File Library a lot? :-)Stamatis

I use it plenty. Heh.... However the name escaped me. Extended, Advanced same difference LOL.Anyways - I'll admit its not the best but if you do spend a few minutes you can generally find what you want. I was just pointing out the quick search is 100% useless and everyone should use the extended search when they do.

Guest Stamatis

>I use it plenty. Heh.... However the name escaped me.>Extended, Advanced same difference LOL.>>Anyways - I'll admit its not the best but if you do spend a>few minutes you can generally find what you want. I was just>pointing out the quick search is 100% useless and everyone>should use the extended search when they do.I was only joking Cameron :-)But I suggest that at least you remove the instruction where it says:airbus a340 searches for the phrase "airbus a340"because it does not search for phrases and it misleads stupid users like me :-)Take care,Stamatis